Figs starting to break dormancy?

lkailburnJanuary 30, 2012

Hello everyone,

Last April i bought my first fig trees from a local big box. Two black mission and one celeste. They are about 2- 2.5ft tall and did actually produce a few fruit for me last year. So at the end of the season after a few light frosts, i moved them into my detached, unheated garage. This is my first time ever owning or caring for figs, so it's all been a trial so far. I watered them maybe twice so far this winter, didn't want to water log, or freeze the pots, but didn't want them to dry out entirely either. Well, i was out in my garage this past weekend, and it looks like there are little green buds forming or even about to open. I am in zone 4b/5a in colorado and we do have pretty weird weather, 60* one day, 20* the next during winter. our last frost date is about 2nd or 3rd week of april.

So my question is, what should i do from here. Are they truly starting to break dormancy? should i keep them in the garage until the frosts pass even if they push out leaves? my garage has no windows so light only gets to them when i'm in their working with the doors open.

Thanks for the response, i look forward to growing figs each and every season!

-Luke

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Luke:

They can have a green bud at the ends of the shoots that looks like it's growing but isn't. Until that bud starts expanding you are OK. Mine in a greenhouse aren't pushing yet. If yours are, your storage conditions must be too warm.

Bookmark   January 30, 2012 at 3:33PM
mandolls(4)

I posted almost the same question on Dec. 15th. A month and a half later, the leaf buds look almost the same. A few are slightly bigger and seem to be considering opening, but they are just sitting there.

I had planned on just bringing it inside the house and putting it in a sunny window, but until the leaves actually appear, I am leaving it where it is.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 7:03AM
lkailburn

Hi everyone, thanks for the reply. Again, since it's my first go round, wasn't sure what to expect. I'll keep an eye on them over the next couple weeks

Thanks!

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 3:10PM
jacklord(7A)

Same thing is happening to mine in a closet in my unheated basement.

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
low-growing plants around figs?
How do figs do with a well-mannered groundcover around...
Kristin
Need help for my fig tree cutting
Hi There, I propagated over 10 fig trees indoor from...
pacifica9231
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Sponsored Products
American Fluorescent | Bilbao Outdoor Sconce
$176.00 | YLighting
Football Field Tournament Cornhole Set - FOOTBALL-RED/ROYAL
$180.96 | Hayneedle
Shires Equestrian Standard Curved Mouth Eggbutt Bit - 6286-4.5
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Calhoun Loveseat - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Fashion Hollow Out Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle