Beer's Black and Violette de Bordeaux

Dennis AKA Snaglpus(8a)January 10, 2010

Is Beer's Black and Violette de Bordeaux the same tree? I have VdB cuttings and according to some sites, they say they are. I know Bass and Herman2 has Beer's Black. Can either of you guys tell me your opinion? Are these trees the same? Dennis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danab_z9_la

They are exactly the same.

Dan

Bookmark   January 10, 2010 at 8:23PM
Dennis AKA Snaglpus(8a)

Thanks Dan.

Dennis

Bookmark   January 10, 2010 at 10:00PM
herman2_gw

I do not have Beer's Black,But I can say that Violette de B I have (EL Origine),is a very healthy cultivar ,and strong grower unlike others i had.
H2

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 11:14PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Well, Violette de Bordeaux was one of the cuttings I ordered from UC Davis. Yesterday one cutting has a tiny green leaf! Fingers crossed it and the others survive! Here is why (from the UC Davis website: Violette de Bordeaux figs taste and smell to some like raspberry jam. Raspberries do not grow in the hot Southern California desert, but figs thrive, so this fig will be my source of fresh raspberries!! They also have a Breba crop.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 2:45PM
danab_z9_la

Violette de Bourdeaux (VDB) is an excellent fig. However, the VDB strain from UCD will have fig mosaic virus. Often, VDB rooted cuttings from that source will really struggle getting started because of the virus. I hope that is not the case for you.

Should you see that your new fig start has heavy FMV symptoms and is struggling along, put it on a regular soluble fertilizer program....half strength at first.....to help it overcome the ill effects of the virus.

Dan

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 10:50AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

Thanks Dan! I have 120 cuttings in Perlite and Peat, most grapes, some olives, poms, and figs. Some of each are leafing, and I have no clue if there are roots. My only clue is brown edges on a few grape leaves, which means stress due probably to lack of roots. I have cut those leaves in half to eliminate stress, and sprinkled 1/4 tsp of Polyon 22-2/11 heat activated slow release granules (left over from the vineyard), over each planting band, and watered it in. They also all got 1 TBSP of vitamin B water. It's been 15-20 days since they were planted, so I think the progress so far is good.

I'll watch for signs of that virus. I think my fig outside has it, but it's growing like a weed! That one is a no name variety that I got from Gurney's last year. I guess I'll have to Google the symptoms! Slow growth is fine with me because I don't have room for monster figs!!
Suzi

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Nexoe fig variety from Danemark
I got my hands on this variety about two months ago...
frozbig
fiddle leaf fig dilemma - one healthy, one w/ incredibly droopy leaves
About a month and a half ago I purchased a 3/4 foot...
eja27
My Fig Tree needs help! leaf syptoms
I have attached a photo here. Does anyone know what...
sundayafternoonblues
Sponsored Products
Queen Dust Skirt
$129.90 | Horchow
Radiant Orchid Faux Silk Black Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Chelsea 675-BB Alexa Swivel Chair - Bulldozer Burgundy/Bi-cast Black - 675-BB
$544.99 | Hayneedle
Turquoise Green Ceramic Jar Table Lamp
$74.91 | Lamps Plus
Chaise Lounge Chair in Black Leather
$749.99 | Dot & Bo