Colocasia Gigantea Bulbs

yardhappygaryJanuary 3, 2010

I know it's early, but what else is a gardener to do on January 3rd in Edmonton.

Does anyone on this forum have any Colocasia Gigantea (or similar large type) bulbs available for sale in or near Edmonton, AB? Or do you know where one would be able to buy them here in late February or early March?

Thanks and Happy New Year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twrosz

"what else is a gardener to do on January 3rd in Edmonton" ... flipping through spring catalogues and being online ordering up plants helps me along on these short winter days :)

Colocasia Gigantea, I had previously seen the bulbs / tubers available at Hole's, they sometimes have had them growing outside in large containers. I've never tried them myself.

Terry

Bookmark   January 9, 2010 at 1:15PM
yardhappygary

Thanks Terry... I'll check with Hole's to find out if they sell the actual tubers. I know some of the greenhouses sell the potted plant in May but they are quite expensive that way.

It's not just the price though... I like to pot up my own bulbs and tubers and that way I can push the starting times a bit and get larger plants by the end of the season.

Last year most of my Dahlias were blooming by early July and a couple of them grew to 7' & 8' tall... just loaded with blossoms.

Bookmark   January 11, 2010 at 11:33AM
orchidguy4ever(4a)

I am much like you yardhappyguy. My bulbs are all started in the greenhouse in late January for full sized plant growth in the spring.
Holes does (did) have the colocasia gigantea bulbs and they were a top size when I had ordered them a few years back. I did notice them in their catalogue last year, so I would think it is a regular that they carry every year

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 9:25PM
luvmysibe

Did anyone have any luck at Holes?

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 3:03PM
redpeony

The selection varies from year to year, but Costco brings in their bulbs around the beginning of March and some years there are Colocasia bulbs in their shipments. They come in with the dahlia and glad bulbs if you are a Costco shopper.

Bookmark   January 29, 2010 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Austen's anyone?
I know Riki grows a lot of Austen's in zone 4. Anyone...
sowandgrow
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Potted peonies already coming up in garage! What do I do?
Hi everyone, After my winter hibernation, I am back!...
ostrich
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™