Homemade potting soil

paininthepetunia(3)February 7, 2013

I have searched and searched these forums and can't seem to find anything on homemade potting soil (which I find odd). I mustn't be looking in the right spots I suppose. Just wondering if anyone has any success with making there own potting soil? I am thinking that with the amount of pots I plant, making the soil myself might help save a bit of money. And who knows, it could be fun! So do tell, how do you make yours?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

I used to work for Stan Thonson and he always made his own. Will phone them and he will give me his recipe.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:02AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

The thing about potting soil is it's not soil. It's usually peat moss based, with some vermiculite &/or perlite mixed in to keep it from caking, and a bit of fertilizer. You can buy all these things separately but it doesn't save any money. Some potting soils contain municipal compost, which you can also make yourself.

For me the most economical way for potting lots of plants is to buy a big cube/bale of Pro Mix. It's good for seedlings and adult plants alike, and is better quality than most bagged soils.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:04AM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

I vote for Pro Mix also. Problem is, I have to go out of town to get it, so always pick up a bale if I'm in Wpg. whether I need it at the time or not.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™