Pepper seeds

marricgardensFebruary 28, 2014

I have not had a lot of luck with some varieties of my hot peppers germinating. Today I got my hydroponics newsletter and they said to presoak the seeds overnight to aid germination. Has anyone ever tried that? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Hi Marg

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question.

However, I'd sure like to know more about your hydroponics newsletter :)

Lynn

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 10:30AM
marricgardens

Hi Lynn. The newsletter is from Homegrown Hydroponics. Hubby has started using hydroponics. If the link doesn't work, just google Homegrown Hydroponics.
www.hydroponics.com/

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 11:38AM
don555(3a)

I never pre-soak hot pepper seeds. I just plant them in medium-moist soil, covered loosely with plastic wrap until germination to prevent them drying out, and try to keep them relatively warm under the shop lights in the basement, so not that warm really. Whenever I've had problems with germination I am suspect of the seed source. For self-collected fresh seeds germination is typically about 90%. Pre-soaking isn't likely to hurt anything, but I'd be surprised if it helps.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 1:26PM
marricgardens

Do you give yours bottom heat? I use a heat mat.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 2:27PM
don555(3a)

No. I have a couple sets of shop lights, and I drape an old sheet over them to trap a bit of warmth (not supposed to I know, but). During the on-cycle I guess it's about 22-24C in the grow area, and in the 8 hour off-cycle it would be the ambient basement temperature, so around 17C.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 3:42PM
Slimy_Okra(2b)

I don't. A heat mat gives sufficiently good results for me. However, I have read that soaking the seeds in a 1% solution of potassium nitrate (available at fertilizer supply stores) will improve germination further.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 6:34PM
donna_in_sask

I've germinated pepper seeds in plastic sandwich bags with a piece of dampened paper towel. Too wet and the seeds will rot and/or go mouldy. When they sprout, I pot them up with some planting soil.

I actually use this method for a lot of my larger seeds (not tomatoes though since they are easy to germinate just planted in soil).

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 4:49PM
don555(3a)

Planted my summer pepper plants in cell-packs on March 14, under basement grow lights, covered loosely with Saran Wrap to maintain moisture until they germinate. Will update this when there is news, good or bad.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 2:02AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Mine just germinated under lights in the basement. I have plastic domes to keep moisture in. I keep the light for the shelf underneath hiked up close so it acts as a heat mat and the light for their shelf dropped close above. It gives a steady 80 degrees day and night and they germinated in 5 days. They were leftover from last year too and still had a good germination rate.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 9:48AM
Pudge 2b

I also use a heat mat for some seeds, peppers included, and have great success with them germinating. I think not only warm but a steady temperature is key.

Some plants, like verbena, like temperature swings to mimic spring and help break the seed, but those warm season veggies like consistently warm temps.

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 10:39AM
don555(3a)

7 days, seedlings now just starting to pop up.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Potted peonies already coming up in garage! What do I do?
Hi everyone, After my winter hibernation, I am back!...
ostrich
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™