Sungold Candy Daylily-damaged scapes

Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7bMay 31, 2012

I got a pot ( 2.5 quarts, I think) of Sungold Candy Dayliles today for $1.00. It is in great shape. I set it on my porch with intentions of planting it tomorrow, as it is outgrowing the pot. I just came to find that it had fallen off the stoop. :( Three out of four scapes are bent/cracked about 2/3 or 3/4 across the width of the scape. However, they can stand upright, if secured. I wrapped gauze around them and a stake, each. There are still buds in them. Do you think there is hope for those scapes, or should I cut the scapes off? How long will it take to grow new ones? I didn't think to get pics....I was in too big of a hurry, wanting to secure them before they cracked the rest of he way through. Obviously, I put the pot inside a larger one and on the ground. Poor things. :(:(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

I don't think I've seen Sungold Candy before, had to look it up. It is very pretty, & certainly a bargain! If the scapes were just bent, they should bloom. If they are actually cracked, they might go ahead & bloom if they aren't too long from opening. I'm no expert on this, but if it were me, I would keep them on, & if it looked like the buds are shriveling, cut them off immediately. Right now I have a daylily that the scape twisted around so much it snapped. I think that condition has a name, but I can't think what it is. I didn't know what to do, so I left it. The buds have continued to grow & look like they should bloom soon. Maybe the blooms will look bad, but I'll learn something from the experience.
Maybe someone else will have better advice for you. As far as rebloom, so hard to say. Some rebloom while they still have a scape, some wait a couple of weeks or more, while others may not rebloom at all. They can behave differently year to year too.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 5:38PM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

Thanks! Bent is probably a better word than cracked. They do bend over and show some stress areas around it, but they don't actually separate completely from the scape, I don't think. I really should have taken pics. lol I do love it! I am hoping to find more somewhere else.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 5:58PM
lisa_3(5)

I've brought some in the house that were near blooming and just put them in a vase. They bloomed fine. If they look like they are starting to wilt, you might try that.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Now for charming "C" daylilies!
Let's see what you all have, I Need to add more to...
sherrygirl zone5
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
Cures for Cabin Fever!
It has been too long this winter we are having!! Too...
Cindy zone 6a
Davisson Daylilies
I'll start by saying I've had no issues with growing...
Julia NY
Trying multiple pics
This is an experiment to see if I can insert muliple...
sherrygirl zone5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™