Daturas

marricgardensFebruary 19, 2014

My daturas are developing large tears/holes in the larger leaves. I know there is an aphid problem but that's nearly under control. Besides, I don't think aphids are causing this. The tears only appear on the larger leaves, the smaller ones are just fine. Any idea what might be causing this? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shillanorth Z4 AB

Aphids are sucking insects. Something is munching!!!! :íì(

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 4:28PM
marricgardens

I have not seen any pest except for the aphids. Maybe its something that comes out at night? Maybe I'll have to do night patrols, LOL.

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 6:47PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Do you have a cat ?

Bookmark   February 19, 2014 at 9:53PM
marricgardens

No cat, just Rosie. I did post this on the houseplants forum and they thought it might be slugs or snails. I know I'm not the most particular housekeeper but my house isn't that dirty!

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 8:36AM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

What a friendly looking dog.

Our cat chewed holes like that in one of my plants, but, I guess that's not what happened to yours.

What I'd do is take it out of it's pot and slowly remove the soil to see if you can find somebody living in there :(

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:17AM
marricgardens

I was contemplating that as a last resort. No, I'm not that lazy but I do have 40 daturas. I did water with insecticidal soap as well as pretreating the soil before I planted.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:58AM
donaldvancouver(cool wet z8)

That looks a bit like earwig damage. Evil things.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:58PM
ianna(Z5b)

Daturas are very poisonous so if cats did that, they will certainly start showing symptoms.

I see some 'buckling' or lumps on those leaves and I'm thinking this is fungus causing injury to that part of the leaf... Maybe that's the problem.

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 11:35AM
runswithscissors(MT 4/5)

Do you have a slug hiding in the pot? Usually slug or snail holes are oval or roundish and they leave the slime trail behind. Definitely not aphid damage...at least not the actual holes. They almost look like some sort of caterpillar or grasshopper damage.

Do you think datura stinks? I found them unpleasant, plus they re-seed like crazy. I found out that If you accidentally rub your eye after pruning them, your pupils dilate as if the eye-doctor just put drops in your eyes. It's weird.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 5:42PM
marricgardens

I have never seen any pests except for the aphids. I did treat them with a fungicide that I had handy. Will see if that helps. I found that the double purple had an unpleasant odor but the yellow one was nice. Mine were in pots so I can't tell if they reseed outside here. Daturas are in the nightshade family, all parts of the plant are poisonous. Marg

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™