Bird brains

Ginny McLean_Petite_GardenFebruary 10, 2014

The weather has been rather cold here as of late and my little feather dusters sure consume more food in these temps. I have a smorgasbord selection for my winter friends and they look forward to mornings when they wait for me to fill feeders and trays. Well, I am one person who enjoys the antics of my black and white friends, much to my neighbours dismay, and I feed them a homemade mixture of cat food, and grains everyday. Years ago my DH nailed supports onto the fence posts so I could feed in flat terra cotta trays and it has worked well for the most part. Unfortunately, I have the odd stray cat taking up residence in my garage some years and they like to finish what the birds don't eat, in the middle of the night........often resulting in knocking the dish off the post and breaking it. So.....this bird brain came up with an idea......I made a foam box and nailed it to the post so I can set the dish in and avoid spills........I have run out of terra cotta, unpainted, dishes so have resorted to a pink painted one from last summer. Magpies are known as one of the most intelligent birds and are actually very friendly; something I admire them for. And these bird brains, on the coldest morning of the year, are scared of the pink tray!!!! Nuff said!!

I hope everyone stays warm and dreams of spring. :)

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

My maggies could take some lessons from this guy! Wow!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/06/crow-smartest-bird_n_4738171.html

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 11:43PM
davidcalgary29(2b)

Magpies are my favourite birds...much to the horror of my Prairie-born relatives! I fill the bird feeder with cashews and other nuts one day out of the week specifically for them -- they are, in addition to being beautiful, the one bird species that can chase off those invasive, aggressive Eurasian collared doves that have been camping out around my house.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 12:08AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I have a few generations of maggies that live here. I am able to ID them only if they have a special something. Like Gimpy and Gimpy 2. And then there is Wing Nut and Percy, who, for some reason, is an extra friendly bird. I have counted more than 20 at one time feeding and chatting. I love the way they "talk" to me in their little birdy voices. And my dogs play with them like their own! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™