Perennials for Sandy soil

minnesotabackyardFebruary 25, 2012

I am new to this forum, but I hope you can help me. Our cabin in northwest Wisconsin has sandy soil so I'd like to find perennials that will survive in our yard. Deer resistance would also be helpful. We also have a hill that desperately needs plants that will help stop erosion.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Hi, welcome! I've been gardening in silty-sandy soil for a few years and I've found that dianthus of all types like it very much. Hostas and sedums also do well. I'll try to think of some others. As for your erosion, Virginia Creeper likes my soil and would stabilize a bank. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. In very sandy soils it seems it can run amok. You might check with your local Ag Extension for what they recommend in your area.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 4:25PM
minnesotabackyard

Thanks so much for your reply. My bank is very sunny. I'd like whatever I plant to take over, so if Virginia Creeper is a good ground cover, that would be perfect. I'll try that this spring.

I have lots of hosta varieties at home in Minnesota and have transplanted several at the cabin. I love them, but so do the deer. I'll try the sedum and dianthus.

Again, thanks!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 5:13PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Sorry I forgot about deer and hostas, I don't get deer. Other recommendations would be poppies (oriental, Icelandic, or annual), columbines, monkshood, delphiniums and peonies. They all do well in light soil and aren't bothered by deer.

I know I already recommended it but I'd be cautious using Virginia Creeper in a natural habitat. Birds eat the berries and spread them around. There is a long-developed cabin/resort area near here with pure sand soils and the trees and everything have become smothered with escaped Virginia Creeper. I have never witnessed this anywhere else but it's worth keeping in mind.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 8:38PM
minnesotabackyard

Thanks again. This is really helpful!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 9:14PM
Pudge 2b

Lavender would thrive in sunny, sandy soil and I'm pretty sure deer would not find it appetizing. The Munstead variety has proven most hardy for me.

For a sunny bank, Veronica spicata incana (silver speedwell, wooly speedwell) is a low growing gray leaved plant with blue flower spikes that is drought tolerant and really knits itself to the soil, at least it did for me. I had a heck of a time digging up a large mass planting of it. Tough stuff but not otherwise invasive.

Another silver leaved plant that I can't imagine deer would like is Artemesia stellerana Silver Brocade would also be great for stabilizing a bank. It looks like dusty miller but each plant grows to about 4' and is perennial - it was very reliably hardy for me.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:53PM
minnesotabackyard

More great ideas. Thanks!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:55PM
Collin001

Sandy soil? I'd start with blue berries and if there was the space I'd set up a wind break of chestnut trees. Run the second row with korean pine for the pinyon seed. You'll have to monitor your ph level with the blueberries but as long as it is sandy you'll be ok. If it was my space I'd plant the pine between the blueberry and the chestnut.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 5:43PM
shazam_z3

... Chestnut trees? Is there a variety in NA that survives blight yet?

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 6:29PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Also look into Lathyrus japonicus ssp. maritimus (beach pea). Some of the sandy shores of Lake Winnipeg have a lot of beach pea that holds the sand together. It stabilizes sand, looks good, and is hardy. You can get seeds at Gardens North.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 10:43PM
davidcalgary29(2b)

I'm certainly not aware of blight-resistant American Chestnut cultivars, but they'll keep sending up new shoots after the main stems are girdled. They're pretty hardy, too: mine's holding its own here in northern Alberta.

I'd recommend a clump of Staghorn sumach for the hill. They're lovely bushes/trees, and much underrated for landscaping.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 12:12AM
Collin001

Give the fellows at Oikos a call. You may be surprised as to what is possible. I know there has been more research at Rhora's but that isn't very close to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oikos Tree Crops

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™