datura from seed

marricgardensFebruary 28, 2013

I traded for several varieties of datura/brugmansia. I did read up on starting them (apparently not enough!) and read that they need bottom heat to germinate. I did that but so far only only 4 seeds have germinated. Originally I had planted 8 pots with 3 seeds per pot. Any tips to help with the germination? I'd like to try with a second planting. Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

There are lots of different kinds of garden daturas and all of them are noted for "erratic germination". So you might have more show up later.

I don't grow them regularly but one year I indoor sowed single purple (2 weeks to germination) and double purple (3+ weeks to germination). The single ones grew so fast/weedy that I threw them out. The double variety was a steadier grower. How long ago did you plant them?

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:05PM
marricgardens

I planted them about a month ago, I'm very impatient LOL. So far the 4 that grew were all dble purple. Marg

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 7:01PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

It could be old seed, or not viable for some other reason... you never know with seed trades but the price is right. I guess I'd just keep watering them and see if more show up.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:19PM
stanly(Z03)

I usually grow the single white Datura and every year they are difficult to germinate. They have a very frustrating as old seed is not viable and take 30 plus days to germinate. Last year I put a wet paper towel in a margarine container, put about 20 seeds in and about 10 germinated. I also took another 30 seeds and put them in vermiculite and set them on a heated seed starter and got another 15 to germinate. Good luck and have patience

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 12:48AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

This is good to know as i'd really like some white datura in my mom's memorial garden this year - 'Angel's Trumpet'. :) I guess i'd better start now!

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:15AM
marricgardens

Marcia, I have some white angel trumpet seeds left. If you want them, let me know. Marg

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:09AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Marg, i got some "Belle Blanche" from the Box of Seeds and am trying the wet paper towel method with them.Thanks for the offer, though! :)

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:36PM
More Discussions
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
What type of apples do northern hardy rootstocks produce?
Has anyone left various known rootstocks grow to see...
sandbur2
Sponsored Products
Datura Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Datura Rug
$189.99 | Dot & Bo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™