Ready to graduate now or in spring?

whaas_5a(5A SE WI)August 13, 2011

I have a 1 gallon Picea engelmannii 'Blue Magoo' that I planted late April in a holding bed. Most these little guys will get moved over the next 1-3 years.

I have a spot for this plant now. Should I move it now (or even late Sept) since its fresh in the ground or wait until next Spring?

I know I can go eitherway just figured I ask in case folks think one route may get it off to a faster start.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i would move it when the leaves of the deciduous trees start turning color..

which i take to mean.. all trees.. of which conifers are.. are dormant above ...

why move it when the needles are theoretically still active... you are just going to stress them ... which would show up as winter burn..

it will continue to re-establish its roots up to ground freeze ... and and then will have all early next spring to work on those roots.. until the buds start extending..

or do it in april as soon as the ground is thawed ... again.. while it is completely dormant ...

this is for z5 and colder ... as we have an either or transplant season.. though i tend to like fall.. since it gives us two cool root-growing seasons before the onslaught of next summers heat ...

someone recently suggested to me.. that perhaps fall is not the best time to move them on yellow tissue plants.. as winter dessication will burn that foliage .. if stressed by the fall move ... lol .. i suggested it dont matter as they all seem to burn for a few years until fully established ...

all that said.. BB or potted.. and how much root surgery are you going to do????

ken

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 2:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Not much I already laid into it this spring. Should, for the most part, be a simple transplant.

I'm thinking fall might be better as well for the reason you mentioned that way it might take off next spring vs. limp along in spring.

Bookmark   August 13, 2011 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
Arborvitae which branches' colour is changing
I have three Thujas, that i had for almost 2 years...
the_delinquent
Best Conifers/Design Ideas for Full Sun, Wet Clay Soil in pH of 7.8
Hi Everyone, I'm working on redesigning a space for...
Select Landscapes of Iowa
Fast growing conifers?
A lovely wooded lot next to us recently sold. The new...
deborahjarman
yellowing of emerald arborvitae
I have several emerald arborvitaes that are turning...
larry361
Sponsored Products
Barcelona Chair and Ottoman-White
IFN Modern
Two King 200TC Pillowcases - WHITE/WHITE
$69.00 | Horchow
Octaspring Evolution Plus Memory Coil Pillow with Bonus Pillow
Overstock.com
Turner Leather Loveseat - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Florence de Dampierre Green 5
Home Depot