Dwarf Gingko Growth Rates?

echolane(SFBayMidPen)August 14, 2014

I am quite taken with dwarf Gingkos and bought two last year, Chase Manhattan and Munchkin. I had expected Chase to grow about 1" a year and Munchkin about 1/2".. But Chase Manhattan has grown 14"' this spring and Munchkin 4". It's like they are both on steroids. I want to keep them small but I'm very hesitant to prune. Dare I?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I think the growth rates you show are really leaf sizes. I can't speak for 'Manhattan', but I have 'Chris's Dwarf' aka 'Munchkin' and 4-6" is the usual growth rate-sometimes more. Leaves are about 1/2".

As for pruning, you can but I'd let them get established for 2-3 years first.

tj

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 3:54PM
Illinois-John(5b)

Interesting, I've questioned rates as well on my "mariken." It's putting on 6"-9" this year and was closer to 12" on the dominant branch last year.

Am I sure it's " mariken?" It came from Iseli 4-5 years ago and looks like every picture I've seen of this cultivar.

I'll be moving or starting to prune it next year. It must be very happy where it is since it grows nearly as fast as my "autumn gold."

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:30PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I got my 'Mariken' in 2010 in a one gallon and it only grows 3-4" per year for me.

A pic from last year.

tj

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:43PM
Illinois-John(5b)

Some pictures of my "Mariken."

I think I mistook the previous years green growth as new growth and the new leaves are showing 4-6".

In any case, it's growing faster than I expected. Gets sun until 1 pm, then is completely shaded by the house. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's too crowded.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:20AM
Illinois-John(5b)

Closer

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:22AM
echolane(SFBayMidPen)

Perhaps you are right, that the growth rates I anticipated were more relevant to leaf size. In that case, I will certainly have to learn to prune them because I want them to stay small. I really want miniature but that will no doubt be too much to achieve.

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 1:39AM
More Discussions
Does anyone here have a Black Hills Spruce?
I've never heard of it. I mean I've heard of Spruces,...
ilovemytrees
Group of large conifers - Zone 4
Hi all. I want to plant a group of conifers in a field...
vtgrower
Arborvitae which branches' colour is changing
I have three Thujas, that i had for almost 2 years...
the_delinquent
Grafting and rock�n roll
See some of my wintertime conifer grafting while listening...
Jarpe
Leyland Cypress in containers? What can I do with them?
(Zone 7a - Northern Virginia. Winter temperatures usually...
mayurkirti
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™