Rose Bush

rebel215May 1, 2013

Hi, Everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but...
Something is eating at the roots or under the roots of my rose bush. I've found it leaning over to the ground and a little hole in the dirt at the base. I think maybe a vole? Does anyone have an idea on what it is and/or what I can do about it? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

It is probably a vole. It may have already eaten most of the roots. Go out and gently pull the bush. If the vole has eaten most of the roots, it will come up. Even if it has, if you have a small topping of roots, you can cut the top way back, and re-pot the bush in light shade and keep it moist, not wet. Do not fertilize.

Go to the drugstore and get a bottle of castor oil. pour a little castor oil in any vole hole and sprinkle it around all of your rose, daylilies, and other shrubs and plants.

You can also mix the castor oil with some dish soap and spray it all over. A third (more expensive but not horrible choice) is to go to gardens alive and buy the mole product that is dry granules with about 20% castor oil and lightly sprinkle it all over. It will get rid of your voles for a year or two, but keep an eye out and do it again when you see their holes or tunnels.

This doesn't kill them, but it drives them out of your yard.

kay

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 8:39PM
rebel215

Thank you, Kay. I'll definitely do that. I've had roses here for years and it's the first time this has ever happened.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 8:48PM
organic_kitten(8)

You are welcome. They have killed several of my roses, and several daylilies. they even started on the Japanese Maple Tree. I detest the little fast breeding critters.
kay

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
A picture from everyone , 2014
I remember loving the threads that would get started...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™