Pine needle eating caterpillars (Sawfly?)

severnsideAugust 14, 2014

Today found a branch being defoliated on my P.mugo 'Ophir', the first attack I've seen in my garden. I summarily killed all the cats which were not on any other branches or plants. The needles were chewed off to the base or just brown dead. I cut the branch off. I'll be keeping a regular lookout now.

ID?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

. I cut the branch off

==>>> really ... i wouldnt have expected such a rash reaction from you ...

PSL eat LAST YEARS needles... and do nothing to the buds ... at least my version does ....

frankly.. your pix are brilliant.. unfortunately ... i never looked THAT CLOSE to them .. lol ...

i am not sure they match .... i hope rhiz pops in to this forum.. if no one else can ID ...

compare at the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 4:51PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

Don't know if its in the UK but that may be the Red-headed pine sawfly (Neodiprion lecontei) which feed in summer. Insecticidal soap will dispatch them if found when they are small.

tj

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:16PM
severnside

Thanks Ken, the branch removed was only a cluster which didn't make any disfigurement, plenty of others below will take up the space. Sorry to give you visions of panic limbing.

Tj, the Redheaded Sawfly caterpillars are a dead ringer so I'll check if it's in the UK. Thanks. I simply took them all off and popped them between finger and thumb. We've had the hottest and most prolonged summer since I came here so maybe that encouraged the adults. I'll be vigilant.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:33PM
plantkiller_il_5(5)

It's bad enough that we have to go on "patrol" twice a week in spring to rid of sawfly,,,but if as tj says these emerge in summer,,,,,ouch

glad to see you also got rid of the cats(wish I could get rid of ours),,,,,now you have to do something about the badgers.
ron

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:41PM
liopleurodon(Z8)

A week ago I noticed some caterpillars eating the needles on my Pinus banksiana 'Banská Stiavnica'.

They were hiding in tunnels of excrement... nasty!
I took all of them out and now I'm keeping a close eye to it.

After searching a bit I found out they were propbably Acantholyda hieroglyphica larvae.
Considering your geographical location (I'm from Belgium) and same time of their activity yours may be the same species? I didn't take a picture of the caterpillars that were on my pine (well, they are in the picture underneath but covered); but yours look similarly if I recall correctly.

Did they also hide in tunnels of dark-yellow excrement?

EDIT:
Never mind, they are probably different; I don't think mine had those black dots on their side.

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 8:44

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 8:38AM
More Discussions
Meyer Spruce (picea meyeri)
I'm looking for an alternative to P. pungens and/or...
basic
multiple leaders on spruce
Hello, Thanks for reading this post, and for the help...
jasonvohs
can someone please help me I.D. this please?
I've had this tree for years and it hasn't seemed to...
mora2817
Preparing Conifer Seedling Understocks For Winter Grafting
My newest video. Best Regards, Dax Here is a link that...
gardener365
Found this yellow variegation on wild Thuja
Curious everyone's thoughts on this yellow variegation....
fireweed22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™