Pruning fig tree for small space near house?

jbrooklyn(6)February 20, 2014

I have a small area in front of my house (an attached townhouse) where I want to plant a small fruit tree to replace a Japanese maple that died. The space receives a ton of sun, but the space is only about 8' by 8' (roughly).

In my backyard I have a Brown Turkey Fig that has never born edible fruit, over 5 years, I suspect because it doesn't get enough sun. It is a beautiful tree, though, and has survived harsh freezes and piled-up snow, so I'd like to try one in the front of my house. I found information about planting a fig near a house here -- http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0409335828314.html -- which mentions using a spade to keep the roots from spreading.

My question, though: can I prune a fig tree down to small (bush) size so it will grow in that space without outgrowing the space?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

It seems like you should have enough room to plant a fig tree in this space. Fig trees can be pruned to maintain a small size. The best location for a fig for us in the Northeast is against a wall facing south, where it's protected from cold wind and gets enough sun.

Bookmark   February 21, 2014 at 6:06AM
More Discussions
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
Any good places to buy fig cuttings?
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could recommend...
bonechickchris
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™