Bald Cypress

jimgioia1August 10, 2014

First of all, I would like to apologize if I am not posting in the correct forum for my question. Well, here it goes.

I would like to try growing a bald cypress in my yard. It's not dry soil but not reallly moist either. And, there is clay after a few inches. 1) Can I grow this tree here? 2) If I were to plant at 15-24" seedling, how much would it grow in the first year. And, 3) Are there any reputable online nurseries that might be recommended.

Thank you in advance, Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gretchen Wood

We have several bald cypress trees on our property. They do like water. Our trees are about 40 feet tall and we planted them about 2007. I still water every other day with the heat getting above 90.
I don't know how they would do since you all get snow?

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 3:25PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i am in the real SE MI ... adrian.. as compared to those detroit burb hosers who claim to be inches from OH ... lol ...

totally and completely bulletproof.. once established...

i bought mine.. 14 years ago .. a 6 foot stick in a one gallon pot from big lot ... and it never looked back ..

pure sand.. no water after 2 years ...

clay is irrelevant to all conifers all but for how you plant it ...

ken

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 8:21PM
Windhaven(5- Midstate IL)

I have two in my yard that are now 10 years old and getting some real size on them. I can't say that I've ever watered them much, past the first year of getting them established. Like Ken says, pretty bulletproof once established. I happened to find mine at Walmart that fall, 10 years ago. Do you have any nurseries close by you that could order for you?

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:30PM
Gretchen Wood

We purchased our bald cypress from either a Home Depot or a Lowe's home improvement store.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 6:55PM
StGuaposFire(DE 7)

You may also want to check out metasequoia (dawn redwood). They're very interesting trees and in many ways resemble bald cypress, but they don't love water quite as much. Also, in good conditions they will outgrow bald cypress, up to six feet per year once established.

S

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:32PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

Ken, up there in the north do your Bald cypress outgrow the metasequoias? Here is seems growth is similar slightly favoring the metasequoias.

Either way they are great trees. If you have the room try them both.

One neat thing about planting them. If you are even near reasonable it should be near impossible to over water them.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Please identify this pine tree
Could someone please identify these pine trees? This...
PicoAzores
Found this yellow variegation on wild Thuja
Curious everyone's thoughts on this yellow variegation....
fireweed22
can someone please help me I.D. this please?
I've had this tree for years and it hasn't seemed to...
mora2817
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
Pinus Nigra hardiness
We had a brutal temp swing in November after a very...
treebarb Z5 Denver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™