Ficus Lyrata Brown Spots

EMTHOLFebruary 12, 2012

Hi there,

I am writing with the hope you can help me with my Ficus Lyrata tree. It was thriving for several months but in the last month it has taken a turn. I phoned the nursery and they suggested more water. Several of my leaves have big brown spots and they are dropping like crazy. On one branch, the leaves are drooping and have turned yellow. From my reading on the internet I thought i may have been over watering but now I don't know! I have not seen evidence of any new growth. My tree is in a northern exposed room and I water it every week. I live in Toronto, Canada. Thank you for your time! I would love to attach a picture but am not sure how to do so.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Odds favor it being related to over-watering and/or a high level of soluble salts in the soil, but I'd need to know more about your soil and watering/fertilizing habits. Another real possibility is oedema, a physiologic malady related to over-watering and other cultural conditions, particularly over-watering + low light + cool temps.

If you contact me off forum through my user page, I'll send you my email address & you can attach pictures to your reply.

As a bonsai practitioner, I have a number of species of Ficus specimens and am very familiar with the genus.

You might wish to read the thread at the link I'll leave & post your future questions there. This forum is primarily, though not exclusively, dedicated to discussion of the hardy fig, F carica.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Ficus in containers if you click me .....

Bookmark   February 14, 2012 at 11:46AM
EMTHOL

Hi Al,
Thanks for responding. I tried to send you a message through your page. Did I get it right. Would love to send you some pictures.
Thanks

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 8:17PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Got it, and responded. I get a LOT of email from GW members, so I can't always get to every message as fast as I'd like to. You should be able to attach pictures when you next reply - if you haven't already done that. I'm at my business now & won't see my mail until later today. TTYS.

Did you find the link to be of any use to you?

Al

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
Fig picture
Testing the picture function . Drag and drop from computer...
dieseler
I am new here, Mathew from New York
Hi All, I just got interested in Figs and am just starting...
mat9
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™