Squash in Northern areas

northernflwr(3)February 9, 2009

Does anyone know what grows well up north as well as when you should plant? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
badaub(z2b CA)

Would be helpful to know what Zone or area your in for more accurate help.

I have been successful with Gold Nugget Squash even in years when no other squash would grow. It forms a bush like a Zucchini but produces small round golden brown hard shelled squash that keep well. It is not a big producer so you would want a few plants. Hope that helps.

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 11:13AM
twrosz

Plants can be started a few weeks prior to setting out ... BUT, don't get too anxious and sow too soon. Select early maturing varieties and hope for a warm summer, hot weather will make for earlier ripening and good flavor ... though, get a cool summer and quality will be poor to totally tasteless. A few years back, I had grown 'Sweet Mama' squash, that was one cool wet summer and the fruit was not at all worth eating. In 2007, the pumkins had rotted right in the garden ... but, last year was hot and dry and they are of excellent taste for pumkin pie :)

Terry

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 2:32PM
northernflwr(3)

Hi thanks. I think I've chosen the right zone.

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 12:09AM
don555(3a)

I've always had success with Sweet Mama (an early-maturing buttercup squash),though in a cool summer I might have to let them ripen up a bit indoors after harvest. Lately I've switched to East Elite, which is almost identical to Sweet Mama, just slightly smaller fruit. Both these squash keep very well... I ate my last one from this past season just a few weeks ago and it was still in excellent condition (actually, they get sweeter the longer they age).

I've tried acorn, butternut, and an early hubbard squash, but none of them ripened for me in Edmonton. Acorn was the closest, so this year I'm going to try an early ripening bush acorn squash, along with my East Elite buttercup squash. I get my seeds from Vesey's.

BTW, spaghetti squash do well in zone 3, but be prepared for wild vines and a billion squash, give or take a few.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 12:27AM
northernflwr(3)

Thanks everyone...I'll give your suggestions a try. :)

Bookmark   February 15, 2009 at 1:24PM
brudyk

Try the squash named Cream of the Crop. It is an acorn type (75 days). I grow it and get fruit in the 2 to 3 lb. range. This was by direct seeding. I purchased the seed from www.superseeds.com (Pinetree garden seeds). A US company. Many of the seeds are for shorter growing seasons, low prices on seeds and shipping and handling is under $4.00 for a seed order of $20.00. and quick delivery.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
What type of apples do northern hardy rootstocks produce?
Has anyone left various known rootstocks grow to see...
sandbur2
Toka plum almost ready to flower in calgary
Like the title says today I was doing my pruning for...
mattpf
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Sponsored Products
Peacock Outdoor Rug 5'3" x 7'7" - OLIVE/NATURAL
$179.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Geometric Brown/Green Outdoor Area Rug (5'3" x 7'6")
Overstock.com
Surya 18 in. Round Wool Pouf - POUF-27
$199.20 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Chelsea Ivory 2 ft. 9 in. x 4
$90.97 | Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Paradise Ivory Wool Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Kenroy Home Castillo Portable Outdoor Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Gatco Satin Nickel Max 28 1/2" x 32" Large Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™