New Trees and Roses

stanly(Z03)March 21, 2013

Just picked up a copy of "The Gardener" magazine today and was reading about a new hardy Maple tree called Lord Selkirk and it looks beautiful. Several years ago I was here and asked about Prairie Splendor and got some pretty good feedback about it so I bought it for a friend who had just moved into a new home however, it top freezes so my $180.00 investment looks pretty crappy. Looks like I might have found a nice replacement. Was also reading about the "Artist" series of roses so might have to invest in some of those as well.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I'll have to look at Lord Selkirk - if the name doesn't lie I should be able to grow it here in Selkirk... LOL.

The Artist roses seem to be good. They just released the last one, Campfire, for this spring. I bought my mom Emily Carr a few years ago and it's a good rose. Very hybrid-tea-like and a big tall plant.

Bookmark   March 21, 2013 at 9:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twrosz

Have always wanted a sugar maple and so will need to keep an eye out for 'Lord Selkirk' :)

Will be interesting how my 'Prairie Splendor' Norway maples made it through the long winter.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 1:26AM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™