cuttings - how long in plastic bags?

angelao(z3 Canada)March 20, 2006

I overwintered Million Bells, Bacopa, and Lantana. Yesterday I took cuttings from them, dipped the cut end in rooting hormone, and planted them in soiless mix in jiffy peat pots. I then put the pots in plastic bags under my grow lights. All the bags now have condensation on them which I assume is a good thing?

My question is how long should the plants stay in the plastic bags? Thank you for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I've tried cuttings from bacopa before, and from what I can remember, I had them covered for about 2 weeks. But, what I do is, uncover them for about a hour or two to see if they wilt or not. If they wilt, then they don't have any roots yet and get covered again for a few days and then test again. And yes, the condensation is a good thing :)
I've always been under the impression that cuttings shouldn't have any direct(hot) light until they have rooted sufficiently or else they'll dry up. My kitchen faces north and that's the window I use to start cuttings. There's still a fair amount of light from the north, but no direct light. This has always worked for me anyway, maybe some others have their cuttings under lights and they do well?

Laurie

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 9:47AM
mcav0y(z3/4 Anchorage)

wow, putting cutting under plastic baggies. What a good idea. I have just used the pinch and poke method (pinch a stem off a leggy plant and poke into the soil). The cuttings get wilty for a few days, and then bounce back.
I have put them in my south-facing windowsill with no apparent issues (although the sun in Alaska is much less intense than other places)

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 4:14PM
stanly(Z03)

I've got some Bacopa cuttings that I've started. I just use a plastic tray which I fill with vermiculite. I wet it with water mixed with "no" damp. I also dip the cuttings in rooting hormone and then cover with a plastic dome. I check it several times a day and use a spritser bottle to keep the cutting moist. I also mix "no damp" with the water in the bottle. Works really well and the cuttings usually start rooting in a week or two. Stan

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 4:16PM
sierra_z2b

For cuttings I use the zip plastic bags that sheets and blankets come in. You have to be very careful that the cuttings don't hit the side walls of what ever you use. I usually leave the cuttings in the progator for 10 to 14 days. I just give a VERY GENTLE tug to see if they are rooted...they won't pull out if they are. Another sign is if they show new top growth. The growing medium I use is Promix in 2 1/2 or 4 inch pots.

Sierra

Bookmark   March 20, 2006 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™