New to tulips! Can I refrigerate bulbs and plant this spring?

camariaMarch 27, 2007

Hi, I just bought some tulip bulbs. I read that they should be planted in autumn. Since the ground doesn't thaw here till end of April, could I refrigerate the bulbs and still plant them this spring, or is it better to wait until autumn.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
camaria

Also, if refrigeration is an option, should I refrigerate or freeze the bulbs...(silly newbie question, indulge me!)

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 10:45AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

If you bought them recently and they are still alive, hopefully they were prepped with the right freezing and refrigeration by the vendor to bloom this spring. If they were on sale from last fall or something, they might be dead. They will be firm and full if they are still ok.

Anyway, plant them out as soon as you have a patch of thawed soil. Don't worry if it is even frozen a bit, as long as you can work it. They might grow leaves but not bloom this year. I don't know if I would bother refrigerating them now. Are they starting to sprout?

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 11:06AM
sierra_z2b

The funny thing is, that Walmart has tulips out with their spring bulbs here. These were left over from last fall, I remember seeing these bulbs in Dec still sitting there.

If you can, I would take these bulbs back to where you bought them. Chances are they won't be of good quality at this time of year, and won't bloom.

In high zone areas, the gardeners there refidgerate the tulip bulbs for 12 weeks before planting out for spring blooms. But they buy fresh tulip bulbs in the fall, Sept or Oct....and they don't get the frozen ground like we do....so they can plant out in Jan.

Good luck with your tulip bulbs.

Sierra

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™