OT - has anyone else noticed...

marricgardensMarch 2, 2013

that the chickadee coloring seems to be a bit more vibrant this year? Maybe its just my eyes playing tricks on me but it seems like that to me. There are a lot more of them this year to. Last year I hardly had any so this is a real treat to see so many. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Hey Marg, I may have to agree with you here. I thought a chickadee was a woodpecker the other day. Maybe they just grow bigger out west of the city but I could have sworn it was a woodpecker! :) It's nice to see and hear the little black caps in the morning and they seem to like to hang out in my cherry tree until the dogs fly out to debird the yard! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 11:01PM
marricgardens

Ginny, we have some fat ones here to - usually they are smaller. I have to put a wire cage around the feeder and thought it would keep out the starlings but no such luck. I was going to make the cage holes smaller but the woodpeckers wouldn't be able to get in then and now the fat chickadees wouldn't be able to get in either! When we put up the feeders we planted 2 pear trees close by, now every morning we get up to see 2 dove trees with chickadees interspersed. Rosie used to chase the smaller birds but now there's bigger game - crows & ravens! Marg

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 8:08AM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Maybe we're feeding them too much!

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:01AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I am teased about that by my neighbours. I have the fattest birds in the city! The dogs play with the magpies and the odd crow. I think I have about 4 generations who wait for me every morning to feed them so they can in turn throw cat food to the dogs who are patiently waiting underneath. :) Silly birds, silly dogs, and even sillier human! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:17AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Mine always look the same but I've noticed in previous years that they look really scraggly after the snow goes in the spring. I think they have a spring molt or something?

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:50AM
CLBlakey

Hoping to have birds in a few years :( I miss birds. All the trees in our neighbourhood are still babies. The only birds we have are swallows one neighbour put up houses for them. Hubby wants to replace the sick and dying tree in our front yard with a big one this year it will cost more but maybe then we will get some birds. I would love to hear the sound of chickadees again.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 4:46PM
sensiblegardening

Our chickadees haven't returned yet. I love their liitle song.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:09PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I was looking at our chickadees today and they look the same as always. Maybe the bigger ones are another type of chickadee? I think the Boreal chickadees are a bit larger than the Black-capped.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:29PM
More Discussions
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™