dark purple lilac

marricgardensMarch 8, 2009

I have seen a dark purple lilac in peoples yards and I would like to get some but I don't know what it's called. From a distance this one looks almost black and it's very fragrant! Any ideas? I would love to have a lilac hedge with this one in it. Thanks. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Congo?

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 2:32PM
marricgardens

I did a search for this one and it's not the one. The one I saw was almost black. After I posted I did another google search and found the same question posted on the plant exchange forum. I'm beginning to think it may be an older variety that is no longer available! Just my luck. Thanks for trying. Marg

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 3:18PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Hi Marg
I have both Charles Joly and Monge in my yard. Both are very deep purple/maroon and depending on the weather, almost black looking. If it is a cool spring, they are darker. I also have Congo but it is not as dark. Monge is probably the darkest, single blooms and very fragrant. Both Charles Joly and Monge are available around here, Edmonton.
Ginny

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 2:36AM
marricgardens

I checked on Hortclick.com and checked out Monge. It is very dark but not the one I was looking for. I found 2 other dark ones called Burgundy Queen and Agincourt Beauty. The fence I want to plant against is about 100' long. Maybe I'll just start with some of these and go from there, meanwhile I'll keep on looking. Marg

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 8:55AM

I found the name of the other dark one I just planted a couple of years ago. Although not fully mature, the blooms are deep purple. It is a dwarf lilac by the name of Charisma. Fragrance??? It is only supposed to be about 4 feet tall. Good hedge lilac.
Ginny

Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 3:30PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Interesting...
I always wanted a deep purple one, do you know, any of these will attract bees or honey bees?
Konrad

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 12:43AM

Hi Konrad,
I really haven't noticed if any of these attract bees. And since I know very little about bees I couldn't tell you if they like dark purple flowers however if fragrance is an attractant then bees would love these lilacs. ??? All are very hardy (zone 2) and nice bright green foliage.
Ginny

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 1:19AM
marricgardens

Hi Konrad. I had a dark pink lilac at the other house. It was very fragrant and did attract bees. One day I noticed that a bumblebee had actually gotten drunk on the nectar and was hanging from the flower! It stayed there for a few hours before flying off. I would imagine any lilac that has a strong fragrance would attract them. After all, the fragrant flowers of linden trees attract them so why not lilacs? Marg

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 8:49AM
bdgardener(3 AB)

Hi everyone, I wish I could help with a name, but I can't. I have a very dark violet lilac that has been past around the family for almost 80 years. I remember huge hedge rows on the family farm in Sask and at the other grandparents house in Saskatoon. Ht 20-25 feet if not pruned, and suckered. Very dk bloom and so fragrant it almost made you sick. Check with U of S as it was probably in a shelter belt program at one time. If you are interested. Cheryl

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 10:23AM

Thank you all!
I will keep an eye on the dark one's.
Konrad

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 12:32PM
badaub(z2b CA)

Have a look at Dark Night about half way down the page I linked. It is very dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Select Plus Lilacs

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 4:42PM
ruthhousman_mac_com

Hi, I am looking for a black lilac, and YES, there once was one. I worked at a Clinic in Brockton MA and in their back there was this bush, that had very thick truly black lilacs, that did smell, sensational. I have longed for a black lilac ever since. I went back years later, to cut a branch, but found it had been razed to the ground and the area paved over. They paved paradise, put up a parking lot!

It must have been a very old cultivar since I have been searching, since. If you find ONE, let me know.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 9:30AM
marricgardens

Ruth: If you use the link above, there is a dark purple called Dark Night, 1966. Is that close?

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:20AM
beegood_gw

I have a dark knight but it doesn't particularly attract bees. I have about 10-12 lilacs from white to pink to mauve and deeper purple. I don't find any of them all that attractive to my bees.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:51AM

Hmn...then I don't plant a whole acre..LOL

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 9:12PM
marricgardens

I saw the posting for Harvard Botanical Garden Lilac Festival. They had a deep purple lilac pictured called 'Albert F. Holden'. It's what I've been looking for, deep purple and fragrant! I'm going to search and see if it is available here. Here's a picture. Marg
www.beavercreeknursery.com/plantdetails.cfm?ID=416

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 8:35AM
Lainimay

I am also looking for the name of a lilac I saw by Tonasket, WA that was so dark purple, it looked almost black from a distance. It was old, old growth and I was allowed to dig up a sucker, but it didn't bloom as dark and I still don't know the name of it? Any info would be great

Bookmark   May 30, 2012 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Potted peonies already coming up in garage! What do I do?
Hi everyone, After my winter hibernation, I am back!...
ostrich
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™