Birds

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)March 20, 2012

The little weasel and I built some birdhouses this spring and I hung them up today. I know it's early but I've already seen the migratory birds we usually get in April-May and I think we're having an early spring for real.

Who else here does birdhouses? This is my first attempt. I bought "wren" house kits with small holes in hopes of deterring those nasty house sparrows. I have had wrens nest in my mock orange before so hopefully they will use the houses.

Speaking of migrating, we saw Whistling Swans on the Winnipeg River on the weekend. I was pretty excited because I have never seen wild swans before.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Wild swans are beautiful, aren't they? Thanks for sharing the pic.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 1:07PM
marricgardens

We've been having Sand Hill Cranes here for the past few years. I'd like to get close enough to get a good picture but they strut around the back 30 acres, right in the middle of the plowed field so I can't even sneak up on them. Nice to see them tho. You are so lucky to have the Swans there, they are so beautiful. Marg

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 1:39PM
savona(z2bBCCanada)

I seen a red-winged black bird at the feeders the last couple days. It really does seem spring like when you hear them singing. Swans stay year around here in a few places where there is open water but we rarely see them flying in the winter.More swans are coming into the area now as they are migrating and we are seeing big flocks of them.A few years ago we were excited about 3 sandhill cranes near our place, now we see big flocks of them. They fly extremely high in the sky and make a sound kind of like a bicycle horn.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 2:27PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

We never got into birdhouses because we always had a cat. And i seldom feed birds in the summer for the same reason. Of course, i don't have a cat now, but you never know what's going to happen.

The robins were back here on Sunday - the absolute earliest they've ever been!

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 10:34PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

We get cranes too, I often see them when I'm working up in the Interlake. I love their funny call. Apparently the populations of both swans and sandhill cranes are doing well in recent years. It's good to hear.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 10:45PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I am so envious of you guys in the country! I think I shall have to go set up a tent in Terry's yard and hang out by the lake a bit in the summer!

We had 17 maggies out here these last few mornings. Last years babies and their whole extended family have come to think of this place as home. They are just so darned amuzing to watch and interact with; I can't stop feeding them. They are building their nests now (or repairing their old ones)and are so ravenously hungry! This morning the big black pair was certainly making their presence known to the maggies and cawing away from the fence. That pair has nested in my neighbours spruce tree for about 4 years now. We still get tons of songbirds even with the black king and queen on watch! :) Spring is fast coming! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™