Beginner in need of advice

jennifer3120March 10, 2014

I'm a young 25 year old woman living in an apartment in downtown Edmonton with a south-east facing balcony. I have little to no working knowledge of how to take care of plants, but I am interested in buying some to bring some life to my place. Can anyone recommend something with relatively easy care instructions that would be suited to my climate and apartment?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shillanorth Z4 AB

I don`t know how big your balcony is but I`m thinking going vertical would give you flowers as well as maximize the space you do have. You could us rectangular planters with tall bamboo sticks or ready made trellis(go at least 5 feet). Shop around for a good deal, they can be expensive. Some easy vines from seed would be scarlet runner bean, black eyed susan, sweet pea, climbing nasturtium. Around the base you could plant lobelia, bidens or bacopa. I don`t know if you would get hummingbirds in your location but you could try a planter of fuchsia gartenmeister. These are all easy, no fuss plants. Beginners usually OVERWATER so just remember to touch the soil first before you douse them! Happy gardening!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 2:57PM
jennifer3120

Sounds like a good place to start, thank you!

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:06PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

South balconies in Edmonton can get very hot in the summer so you may want to look at some more drought resistant varieties for pots that can take a lot of sun. Pots dry out very fast on a hot day here, especially higher up. Some of the plants with tuber type roots such as daylilies, and dahlias do well in pots and they are perennials if you bring them in for the winter. :) . They are not climbers but can tolerate heat. Geraniums don't mind drying out either. They look nice in pots with mint and dracaena plants and will also live over the winter nicely inside. I have a very hot front porch and they do well out there in pots. :) Morning glories are another climber that can handle heat better than some.
Hope this helps. :)

Ginny (Edmonton) .

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Austen's anyone?
I know Riki grows a lot of Austen's in zone 4. Anyone...
sowandgrow
Sponsored Products
Orangeita Spa Pillow
$189.00 | FRONTGATE
Lyleson Set of 6 Low Voltage Black LED Path Lights Kit
Lamps Plus
Missoni Home | Niles Blue Bath and Hand Towel 5 Piece Set - Quick Ship
YLiving.com
Palazzo Counter Height Dining Table - WSMP08-T
$199.98 | Hayneedle
Three Ring Clock
$32.99 | Dot & Bo