Old Fig Bush

joraines(7 Upstate SC)February 15, 2013

My Dad, 80 years old, has a fig bush that came from his aunts' house in a nearby town and probably came from their grandparents' house. In fact, they lived in the old homestead. So, there is no identifying the variety or name of the two rootings we dug up today, one with a green new growth thip on its woody appendage, from his dormant bush and planted on our small farm with plenty or Black Kow and potting soil. Is there an 'original' fig, a 'mother' of modern day figs??? Or will these two fledgling shrubs be forever nameless and unidentified??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisner_gw wisner

You could post some pictures of the fruit and leaves and someone could probably identify the variety. This article tells about the early figs in your area. Good luck with them.
http://www.common-place.org/vol-11/no-03/bherman/

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 8:47PM
joraines(7 Upstate SC)

Thank you. I will post pix of the fruit when we ever get fruit. He and I dug up two rooted woody sections and my husband and I planted them yesterday with some Black Kow. From what I'm reading, it may take two years for it to bear fruit. I didn't know if there might be an old, 'original' variety from which all modern fig bushes came! I will read the article and I appreciate it.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 8:08AM
joraines(7 Upstate SC)

What a wonderful, informative article. My husband is familiar with the smaller Brown Turkey figs. I think the shrub from my Dad's family is a larger fruiting variety.

Bookmark   February 16, 2013 at 8:20AM
More Discussions
Fig picture
Testing the picture function . Drag and drop from computer...
dieseler
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
I'm Back
Hello all
Aaron
vasilika sika ( king & queen)fig greek
Can anyone post a photo of this fig? Is this fig called...
edarena
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™