Propagating red currants

bad_dog(NW Canada)March 12, 2010

I have one red currant bush and it looks awfully lonely so I'd like to try propagating a few more bushes. I have never tried root cuttings before so would like a little direction. When is the earliest that I can take cuttings from my bush. It is not totally snow free yet here and it's well below 0 (C) at night. I have root stim, is that what most of you use? What kind of medium do I put the cuttings into. A neighbour says I should just put them in a pail of water but I think I read somewhere that this just waterlogs the roots and they don't function properly when potted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
valleyrimgirl(2b)

Are the stems long enough that you could just bend them over and sink them under some soil come spring? They root easily this way.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 9:42PM
bad_dog(NW Canada)

Thanks, I have tried that with my gooseberry plants with some success. I am just anxious to get started on something for my garden and it's too early to start my tomatoes. I haven't tried cuttings and thought that now is the time.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 10:23AM
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

My book says for red-currents:
Hardwood cuttings to midwinter. 1 foot long. Remove buds from bottom, 7 inches, stick 6" into potting media. No mention of bottom heat.

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 12:57PM
grapeguy(3b)

The variety you are growing is probably Red lake. If you take dormant cuttings you can propogate them quite easily. I have just put them directly into the ground with lots of success. If you use bottom heat it's important to make sure the ambient air temperature isn't to warm otherwise the plant will throw out leaves and won't root.

Good luck

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 11:13PM
cmorrt

Can I propagate red currants in the late summer?

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
winter growing...getting over the blues
Well I am really late starting this year as we normally...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™