Problems Rooting in Sphagnum Moss :(

auburn014February 11, 2013

I have been trying to root cuttings for a little over a month with little success.

My first batch, I did the damn newspaper and ziplock bag approach. Of 5 cuttings, one rooted. I suspect I kept them too damp.

On my current batch, I decided I would try the sphagnum moss in a plastic box approach. I started these a week ago. I soaked the moss, squeezed it out well, as much as I could get out, and when I checked them yesterday, the sphagnum moss had a thin layer of the dreaded cotton looking mold/fungus on top. It has been kept in a closet at about 70 degrees. Is this going to kill the cuttings? Did I do something wrong :(?

Thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisner_gw wisner

I would take the cuttings out of the moss and wash them in cold soapy water. You could add 1% bleach to the water. I would remove the moss and put in new moss. Maybe use less wetting of the moss this time. Also, open the lid on the container daily for a minute or two to let in fresh air. I don't think it is necessary to keep the cuttings in the dark, just leave them on a counter somewhere in your house. Good luck with them. Last year I started a lot of cuttings. I did a few in the moss, some I put straight into cups and put inside plastic totes, some I put directly into pots outside with no covering. I had good success with all three methods. Post again if you have more questions.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 12:12PM
frankcbd

Squeeze the heck out of the sp moss! Fill up the container so there's less air space. Much better success rate.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 12:34PM
j-a-k-e

1% bleach will get you nowhere. Use 10%. Soak the cuttings for about 30 seconds. Wet the sp moss with the bleach solution also.. Squeeze out and allow to air a few minutes to disapate clorine.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 1:00PM
auburn014

I will try that. Thank you all. I rinsed the cuttings with 10% bleach before I put them in the moss, assuming that would be enough, but only wet the moss with water.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 2:18PM
More Discussions
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™