Breaking Dormancy - too late to prune?

alexshrugged(10 (Sunset Zone 23))February 8, 2012

Apologies if this question has been dealt with before, but I was having a hard time finding an answer in the archives...

I have an old, mature fig tree in my new yard (not sure what kind it is). Some of the branches are probably 15-20'+ high, too high to harvest the fruit. To be honest, it's in part-shade, so I'm not sure how much fruit it can produce/ripen anyway, but we'd like to try.

We'd love to prune it down to a more manageable height, and maybe thin it a little to help it fruit (there are so many branches right now), but it has already broken dormancy and there are leaves forming on the ends of the branches, as well as what look like a few baby figs. I don't want to discourage growth -- is it okay to prune now, or should we just let it grow this year, and prune after the season?

Also, suckers are coming up -- we should cut those off, right?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
King.Fig

Yes you can prune your tree right now to a more manageable size. Fig trees are often pruned in my area just before bud break. This is done to keep the trees at the proper height for picking and to enable them to produce a larger crop of figs.

Of course by pruning you will lose some figs. The figs that formed on old wood from last year are called "breba" figs. You lose beba figs when you cut off old wood. The figs that form on the new growth from this year are called "main crop" figs. Pruning will stimulate even more new and healthy growth. There is even the possibility of a new crop of figs forming on your tree and having lots of time to ripen before winter arrives. In a zone 10 climate like yours, some figs will produce three crops of figs in a season.

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 12:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The energy for initial budbreak comes from a small store of starch stored at the base of leaf buds, so there is little energy loss if you prune when the first generation of leaves is still very young. Once the initial flush has started to mature and branches extend to subsequent generations of leaves, however, the energy drain can have a considerable impact.

So you're a Rand fan, hmm? Me too. Her prescience is/was amazing.

Al

Bookmark   February 9, 2012 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™