Hard Work and Results of same

organic_kitten(8)May 6, 2012

Remember the pile of mulch I said was left from the tree we had cut down?

Well I got into it after weeding part of the garden for the third time! The silly mulch was really hot, almost charred at the top (spontaneous combustion, anyone?)

Almost 6 hours of weeding, Putting out Preen and mulching gave me one nice area with a few daylilies. I shouldn't have to weed this again for a while.

kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

That looks really nice,kayand a lot of work to get it looking so nice.Your gardens are really pretty.

Jean

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 8:52PM
organic_kitten(8)

Jean, I'm just showing the part I've finished...a long way to go, but thank you so much for the encouragement, it helps.
kay

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 8:54PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Gosh Kay, that is one big pile of mulch. But the garden sure does look great all weeded and mulched. It just makes everything look so neat and spiffy. Great job.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:22PM
mantis__oh

Great to get some free mulch. That stuff can be expensive. The mulch looks good with the stones.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 9:37PM
organic_kitten(8)

Thank you Mantis. I am wishing I had had them put another big load at the back...they did put a smaller lead of finer mulch from the trimming in the on the other two big trees in the back...I plan to use that around the roses. I have never put down mulch that it wasn't hard work, but nothing makes the garden look neater (and for longer) to me than when it is nicely weeded and mulched.

kay

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:22PM
Nancy zone 6

It is work, but it saves work in the long run, doesn't it? Everything looks really good, & always good to get free mulch. I guess it really wasn't free though, was it.
Talking about hot mulch, a few years ago they put down mulch at work, like they do every spring. I went out a day or 2 later, really hot weather. The mulch was in flames. I ran in & got some water. Got it put out & called the maintenance people. Went back out just a few minutes later & there were flames again in a spot a couple of feet away. I don't know if someone tossed out a cigarette, or it just got that hot, since it was in 2 different spots.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:07AM
houstmag

Your beds look great though I don't envy you the hard work that went into it, it was in the 90's here on Sunday so I only spent a hour or so out weeding. It seems the older I get the less I want to be out in the heat.
Linda

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:20AM
katlynn719(8b)

Kay, Everything looks wonderful! I know it was a lot of work, but it was worth it.
Kathy

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Clean up and beautify Garden Web!
You can add an extension to your browser for Firefox...
Brad KY
New Grandson is now One Week old
Last Thursday afternoon, a little after 3 pm , Hunter...
daylilydayzed
NOIDS
Like Indian cast system the NOIDs appear to be low...
brigarif Khan
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™