when should fig leaf out in San Diego

sandiego4sFebruary 7, 2014

I bought a VDK fig from Walter Anderson nursery a month ago. The two feet small tree still had two leaves then. I planted it in a 20 gal fabric pot filled with potting mix from Home Depot. The tree doesn't have any sign of leafing out except that it dropped the two leaves a few days ago. It's my first fig tree, when will it leaf out? Should I worry about the potting mix?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organique

I'm in north San Diego County and I have about a dozen fig trees in pots.and half a dozen more in the ground. All but one of the trees in the ground never dropped their leaves over the winter. Of the potted figs, all but two or three put on leaves over the past week. Oh, and one of the in-ground figs that kept its figs through the winter is currently dropping it's old leaves while at the same time sprouting new ones.

Your timing may be different depending on the variety of fig you have, the potting mix, watering, your micro-climate, etc.

Since your tree is young and was recently transplanted, keep it out of direct sun for at least a couple months. Put it either in some filtered shade or in an area that is shaded during the hottest part of the day.

Anyway, I think it is too soon to worry about it.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
vasilika sika ( king & queen)fig greek
Can anyone post a photo of this fig? Is this fig called...
edarena
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™