Seed balls

Ginny McLean_Petite_GardenMarch 3, 2014

I came across this page this morning and wondering if anyone has ever tried these. Many years ago I had received a note card in the mail with flower seeds pressed into paper. I planted them and they grew so well I thought I would try to repeat this idea myself. That worked well with perennials and I think this would be worth a shot. Good idea anyway. :) What do you think?

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:52PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

We made them at a hort. club meeting once. I don't remember how it did, though - maybe mine didn't get planted. I think we did them with paper toweling? (Didn't look at the link yet).

Here is a link that might be useful: The link

This post was edited by marciaz3 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 20:38

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:37PM

That's the link Marcia. :)

I also used paper towel or toilet paper or something like that. It actually worked quite well, I think. Same idea using strips of wet newspaper in rows I guess. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:48PM
marricgardens

I saw those at a seed exchange this weekend. I saw the end results and they were great, she just put them in a pot filled with soil and had lots of annuals growing. She also had the paper ones cut into shapes, bees and butterflies. I don't know what kind of paper she used tho. Great ideas!

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 8:26AM
destinyvp

Last year, I pre-spaced my carrots using 1 ply TP and a little water/cornstarch paste mixed together. Worked like a charm. No thinning seedlings YAY! The TP just dissolved and my carrots grew as normal.

Haven't tried seed balls.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 6:39PM
kioni(3)

I hope it is okay to paste a link to something similar to the seed ball - I like the idea and the poster did an excellent job with descriptions and photos. I always seed my carrots too thick, then fail to use the rake to thin them and regret it afterwards. So I'm gonna try a row using the tp method RWS shows.

I can see the value of the seed ball when guerrilla gardening - I've thought of doing that too.

Thanks for the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Seed Tape

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 12:25AM

I think I shall just stick to sowing carrots and lettuce with bran. I have neither the time nor the patience for homemade seed tape. Just as easy to thin the seedlings, IMO. :) Sowing them on top of moistened tp might be easy enough though. :)

Marg, I have made the tissue paper ones in the past as gifts for Easter and such. They actually work rather well. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 12:27PM
marricgardens

Thanks Ginny. I'll give it a try. The paper they were using looked more like crepe paper tho, not as light as tissue paper and sort of crinkly. Marg

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:01PM

Pretty much the same thing, just crinkled, as you said. Haha :) I think the tissue paper "streamers" just make it a bit thicker and easier to work with as long as one uses white or natural colored. The dye runs like crazy on the colored ones. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 12:18AM
freezengirl(3aMN and 5AK)

I made seed tape last year with beet seeds on strips of adding machine tape. A dot of Elmers glue with a seed on top. It was nice because I was able to fold the paper in 1/2 then open it again to follow the line for placement. I actually didn't get them planted though, ran out of room in my garden, so not sure how they would work. I came across the directions somewhere here on Garden Web.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
Potted peonies already coming up in garage! What do I do?
Hi everyone, After my winter hibernation, I am back!...
ostrich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™