Seed balls

Ginny McLean_Petite_GardenMarch 3, 2014

I came across this page this morning and wondering if anyone has ever tried these. Many years ago I had received a note card in the mail with flower seeds pressed into paper. I planted them and they grew so well I thought I would try to repeat this idea myself. That worked well with perennials and I think this would be worth a shot. Good idea anyway. :) What do you think?

Ginny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Oops! Here's the link....... :)

http://heavypetal.ca/archives/2011/01/step-by-step-how-to-make-seed-balls/

Ginny

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 3:52PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

We made them at a hort. club meeting once. I don't remember how it did, though - maybe mine didn't get planted. I think we did them with paper toweling? (Didn't look at the link yet).

Here is a link that might be useful: The link

This post was edited by marciaz3 on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 20:38

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:37PM

That's the link Marcia. :)

I also used paper towel or toilet paper or something like that. It actually worked quite well, I think. Same idea using strips of wet newspaper in rows I guess. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 3, 2014 at 8:48PM
marricgardens

I saw those at a seed exchange this weekend. I saw the end results and they were great, she just put them in a pot filled with soil and had lots of annuals growing. She also had the paper ones cut into shapes, bees and butterflies. I don't know what kind of paper she used tho. Great ideas!

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 8:26AM
Destinyvp

Last year, I pre-spaced my carrots using 1 ply TP and a little water/cornstarch paste mixed together. Worked like a charm. No thinning seedlings YAY! The TP just dissolved and my carrots grew as normal.

Haven't tried seed balls.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 6:39PM
kioni(3)

I hope it is okay to paste a link to something similar to the seed ball - I like the idea and the poster did an excellent job with descriptions and photos. I always seed my carrots too thick, then fail to use the rake to thin them and regret it afterwards. So I'm gonna try a row using the tp method RWS shows.

I can see the value of the seed ball when guerrilla gardening - I've thought of doing that too.

Thanks for the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Seed Tape

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 12:25AM

I think I shall just stick to sowing carrots and lettuce with bran. I have neither the time nor the patience for homemade seed tape. Just as easy to thin the seedlings, IMO. :) Sowing them on top of moistened tp might be easy enough though. :)

Marg, I have made the tissue paper ones in the past as gifts for Easter and such. They actually work rather well. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 12:27PM
marricgardens

Thanks Ginny. I'll give it a try. The paper they were using looked more like crepe paper tho, not as light as tissue paper and sort of crinkly. Marg

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 7:01PM

Pretty much the same thing, just crinkled, as you said. Haha :) I think the tissue paper "streamers" just make it a bit thicker and easier to work with as long as one uses white or natural colored. The dye runs like crazy on the colored ones. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 12:18AM
freezengirl(3aMN and 5AK)

I made seed tape last year with beet seeds on strips of adding machine tape. A dot of Elmers glue with a seed on top. It was nice because I was able to fold the paper in 1/2 then open it again to follow the line for placement. I actually didn't get them planted though, ran out of room in my garden, so not sure how they would work. I came across the directions somewhere here on Garden Web.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™