Snapdragons

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)March 2, 2007

As you probably all know, I am a snapdragon fan. I always thought that they were called snapdragons because if you pull the bottom lip and let it go, it goes snap (how fun is that to do over & over? LOL!). But I read that the old-fashioned ones you squeeze and they somehow snap on their own. Does anyone know anything about this? And where I can get seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garden_chicken(3b)

As far as I know all snapdragons can be 'snapped' by squeezing the 'hinges' together slightly, at least that's how we always did it as kids. Some definitely snap better than others. Let us know how you make out! :)

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 10:55AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Oh is that what it is? I feel silly now. I will give it a try this summer. Thanks GC.

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 3:12PM
plantaddict487(Zone 2b MB CDA)

Speaking of snapdragons, does anyone know if they will self-seed in a large concrete container? I left the dead stuff on over winter hoping the seeds would fall and self-seed. They are in the large industrial planters, three of them that are completely covered with plowed snow from the walk way. Any thoughts on this???

BJ in SW MB

Bookmark   March 6, 2007 at 12:30PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

BJ, I have never had snaps self-seed but perhaps they will for you. They sure do make a lot of seeds. And they are a reasonably hardy annual. Let us know if you have any luck.

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 12:06PM
sierra_z2b

BJ, I can't say that I have ever had snaps self-seed for me, but I have had them over winter and grow and flower the next season in my yard.

I had a friend in zone 4 that never bought snaps because they always self-seeded for her. She was always giving snaps away in the spring. They were very prolific for her.

I guess you will have to wait and see...be sure to let us know if they do.

Sierra :-)

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 3:42PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I wonder if it depends on the variety of snapdragons to self-seed? Awhile back we had discussed morning glories and re-seeding, and the consensus seemed to be that only a few of the varieties were reliable self-seeders in colder zones, so maybe it's the case with snaps too.

Laurie

Bookmark   March 7, 2007 at 3:52PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

Although they don't germinate prolifically, I'm always surprised somewhere in the yard with self-seeded snapdragons. And I get the coolest colors that way!

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 12:02AM
newgrdenrmn(z4 MN)

I planted some in my garden the summer of 2005 and I had twice as much last summer. I am looking forward to seeing them again this year!

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 10:02PM
garden_chicken(3b)

Gil, are your snapdragons snapping?

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 11:08PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I also had some re-seed this year. A nice dark red colour.:)

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 11:49AM
seauld

Those of you who've mentioned your Snaps self-seeding, do you happen to know what varieties they are? Or what varieties you started with? My mom loves snapdragons and I've been looking to add them to our garden for a while, and self-seeding ones would be ideal.

Thanks =)

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 8:26PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Garden Chicken, actually my snapdragons are sucking this year. There are only two measly ones blooming but I tried them out today and they do sorta snap. They were so beautiful last year, I guess they liked my old garden better.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 10:02PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

Prairiegirl, the variety I started with last year was Ribbon Crimson, and they re-seeded this year.

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 10:40PM
seauld

Thanks Laurie! I'll keep my eyes out for them. :)

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 12:24AM
laurie_edm

I have had snapdragons self seed, but not reliably. Every year here in the zone 3 magic garden, I have a couple of volunteers. I suspect much depends on the weather - I had masses of snaps either over winter or self seed in a zone 2 raised bed one year out of the 4 or so that I lived there.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 8:44AM
twrosz

The 'Sonnet' series is top rated in trials and 'Cinnamon Bronze is a unique and beautiful color.

I've often had seedlings self sow, though I mostly end up with plain yellows, which I guess, are dominate.

Terry

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 12:43PM
christinela

I planted some snapdragons last fall. The blooms faded but the foliage stayed lush. Now that it's getting warm here, they foliage has started growing like crazy. Will it rebloom? Should I cut the foliage back at all? I have not cut it back since planting. Thanks for your advice!

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 6:54PM
twrosz

christinela, if your plants are bushy and compact then just leave them be, otherwise cut them back if they're lanky. Yes, they'll flower for you again, they should give a few flushes of bloom this spring and into summer if you keep the spent blooms removed. Though, I don't know how well they'll continue to flower through extreme summer heat. I think that snap dragons are short lived "tender" perennials.

Terrance

Bookmark   March 21, 2011 at 10:35PM
christinela

Thank you, Terrance!

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™