How to water a fig tree in a container ?

sam89(Z10SF)March 30, 2011

I'm new to fig tree planting. I purchased a fig tree (10" whip) in a one gallon pot. I repotted the tree in 3 gallon container. How should I water the tree ? The tree just leafed out yesterday. By the way, the soil I used is Uni-Gro organic potting soil with 10 % Perlite added. If I overwater the tree would the root rot ? The container is under the Sunlight and how can I keep the pot from overheating.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foolishpleasure

First of all the container has to have good drainage. Also if you used the right mix of Sphagnum Moss (50%), Soil, Humus, and perlite in equal amounts it does not need much watering. The Sphagnum Moss absorbs and hold water.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 3:20AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Containerized plants should be watered thoroughly, until at least 10-15% of the total volume of water applied exits the drain hole. This flushes accumulating salts from tap water & fertilizer from the soil. If you cannot water this way w/o risking root rot, your soil is inappropriate for the planting and limiting growth/vitality.

Soils comprised of primarily fine particulates like peat/coir/compost/topsoil/garden soil hold excessive amounts of water and are very hard on root health when used conventionally.

Al

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 3:37PM
sam89(Z10SF)

The potting soil is too heavy after watering and the pot is too big for this tiny fig tree. The root ball is small with respect to the pot size. I'll apply some trick by resting the container on garden soil. Let the earth remove excessive water out.
Thanks guys. Al, I read your article about "Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils".

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 3:10AM
foolishpleasure

Most of us are guilty of over watering and I am the first to bleed guilty for that. I read a book written by some PHD in horticulture and he stated that over watering especially when the pot has good drainage system robs the plant of needed nutrients.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 6:24PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I hope you found it helpful, Sam. I see you learned about how to turn your pots into mini raised beds. ;o)

FWIW, I've never depended on the (container) soil to provide any nutrition for any of my trees. It provides so little in the way of nutrients that I prefer to operate as though it provides no nutrients, taking charge of ensuring my trees get what they need through regular, frequent fertilizer applications.

Al

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
Ficus Lyrata curly leaves.
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™