I have some questions regarding the brebas vs. main-crop figs.
In NYC, Zone-7b, the growing season might last, maybe three months. I've been growing "Atreano" since 2007, and have never let the breba crop develop on my trees. I nip them off as soon as I see them sprouting. I do this each year so that main-crop figs are not delayed. My figs ripen by mid-August. No problems...I'm happy. But, I'm greedy, and I want more!
This spring, for the first time, I'm considering letting some breba develop,.... just to see if I can push the growing season, and chow-down on some earlier figs. If I let some breba develop just on one branch, will this send a "signal" throughout the whole tree, and cause a delay in setting main-crop figs, or will the delay be only on that one, specific branch, where brebas formed?
Judging from the photos that were posted by herman2, of his "Atreano" brebas, this variety can make some huge figs, and according to herman2, figs with a pretty good flavor. I really don't want to risk my main-crop, at the expense of a few, insipid, breba.
Should I give it a shot, or, forget it and just grow main-crop figs?