Is it too late to take cuttings from a fig tree

hrhcsh(7)March 9, 2011

I am in NE Alabama It is early March and we are still having temps in the 30's at night. There is a huge Fig tree at a Blueberry farm near here that I would like to get some cuttings from. Can cuttings be taken now, Is there any best time? Or Worst time?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawan_z5a

Cuttings can be taken anytime but the rooting may require different methods for green cuttings vs. the dormant cuttings. The best time for fig cuttings is when the plant is dormant from fall (after dormancy) to spring just before bud break. It does not mean that cuttings taken after bud break wil not root at all but will require additional care.
You did not mention the current state of bud opening.
Take a chance and take some cuttings. Try rooting and most probaly some will root. If not, it wil not be a big loss and try again in late fall with fully dormant cuttings.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 9:52AM
hrhcsh(7)

No buds yet on the figs, Bradford Pears are blooming, a few other trees are starting to bud, but we are still forecast to have a freeze Thursday morning, and we usually have the last one in the first half of April. When I mention that I am in NE Alabama everyone thinks ALABAMA That's in the SOUTH and automatically think WARM.... L.A. ( Lower Alabama ) is a lot different than up here.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:08AM
igo4fish(8b)

I've started them in May and July. Only thing different is remove all but a few of the smaller leaves and keep humidity up. Yours are not really actively growing so just do it the same as for dormant wood. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 12:03PM
k2marsh

You should have no trouble growing hardwood cuttings now.
Prepare the ground where you want the fig tree to grow. Cuttings should be about 8 to 10 inches long. Some of mine are 12 inches long. Leave one bud above the ground. Water if dry. Thats all you need to do.

Click the link below and see how the professionals people take cuttings.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Propagation

Bookmark   March 11, 2011 at 8:23PM
paully22

Very Good to take cuttings now. I find cuttings taken now have a higher strike rate. It works well for me. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 12, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
vasilika sika ( king & queen)fig greek
Can anyone post a photo of this fig? Is this fig called...
edarena
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
I'm Back
Hello all
Aaron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™