Dahlias

marricgardensMarch 19, 2012

After years of saying I wouldn't plant any more bulbs for the voles, I gave in and bought some dahlia tubers at HD. They were 2 varieties to a pkg. and I bought 2 pkg. Today I potted them up. I didn't realize how much I was getting, each variety had 5-6 tubers. They were Minnesota, Orion, Arabian Night and Le Baron. The only thing is none were seperately labeled so I should get nice surprises popping up! I also bought a new hosta called 'Yellow splash Rim'. It was already in leaf in the pkg. and is 3". While I was in buying mode, I decided to buy some viola seeds, I plant them in the hosta garden. I bought 3 different types of pansies, 1 pkg. of violas and 2 types of petunias. Think I will stop buying for now. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
savona(z2bBCCanada)

Oh no no no Marg..never say you quit buying for now. Now things will leap right off the shelf into your hands...lol. Arabian Nights is one of my favorite dahlias. I bought another Star's Favorite to replace the one I lost from last year. I start Dahlias from seed but cant resist the packages in the store with their lovely faces on them 8-)
Jean

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 7:09PM
mytime(3/4 Alaska)

I love Arabian Night. This year was the first in a long time that it didn't come out of storage in good shape, so I went right out and bought another one. I have more expensive and harder to get varieties, but I have to say that most summers, Arabian Night puts on a fabulous show that is hard to beat.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 1:38AM
marricgardens

Jean, I don't think I will ever quit buying, it's to much fun! Good to hear about Arabian Night! Years ago I had one called Fuzzy Wuzzy that I wouldn't mind finding again. Mine rotted in the ground a few years ago when we had a really wet summer. Actually the dahlias were DH idea. I expect he will get more because he really likes the big flowers. I got interested in them again when I saw Alan's post on the daylily forum. He lives in Australia and his dahlias were just as nice as his daylilies. Marg

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 8:21AM
savona(z2bBCCanada)

Some years are great dahlia years and some aren't. Last year was almost a bust. Arabian night did bloom really well regardless of the cool wet summer and the huge infestation of aphids it got.
Jean

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™