Second Flush on Picea Abies

greatplainsturf(6/7 OK)August 21, 2012

Like much ofthe Midwest, weather in Oklahoma has turned on a dime here in August. From 100's to below normal temps with rain. I noticed today that my picea abies cupressina and my birds nest spruce have bud swells and growth. Both of these had a hard time in the heat this summer. I've read on these forums before about Lammas growth. Is that what this is? How will this growth affect growth next spring? Does growth in the fall cause immature buds for the spring with reduced growth next year? Is this a good or bad thing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i noticed it.. on little gem.. and on a few P. glauca ... and in weird patterns ... not the whole plant ...

all normal as far as i am concerned ... though the timing seems a bit off ...

are your hands really that red.. or is your camera somehow off???? .. maybe the macro setting for the closeup and the ambient light ...

BTW.. i dont see it on the first two pix.. just swelling buds ...

i see a lot of heat/drought damage.. water deep into fall.. consistent with your zone and soil ...

ken

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:25AM
greatplainsturf(6/7 OK)

Does this late growth affect the tree's growth for next spring. If these buds open will buds of equal vigor develop and open at normal growth time next year or will this growth use the energy causing a reduction in growth next year?

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:45AM
ricksample(6)

I have the same thing with some of my plants, Picea abies 'Gold Drift', Picea abies 'farnsburg', just to name a few. I don't really have anything else other than Picea abies that are doing a second flush. As ken said above, not the entire plant, just in select patterns.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:46AM

Does this late growth affect the tree's growth for next spring.

==>>> i said it was normal .. so i dont know why you should worry about it.. nor what might be suggested to do about it ...

that said.. i dont know its impact on next year ...

i understand you are expanding your learning curve.. and that is why i am taking the time to tell you what i know ...

picea glauca 'rainbows end' .. is specifically known for its second yellow flush.. on an otherwise plain old green DAS ... and the dwarf alb spruce.. glauca conica ... also reflushes.. but it is the same dull green.. so its rarely noticed.. its part of its genetics..

so it might be hard to argue.. that a second flush is abnormal .. or weakens the tree for next year ...

glad you are interested.. but dont worry about it..

ken

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 1:05PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

See the link.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Deja grew

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
"Best" Pseudotsuga for cold, eastern areas.
I'd like to add just a few Doug-trees to my menagerie...
wisconsitom
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my plant
bluethuja
how to transpalnt a conifer/tree -- huge pix post
most of all.. timing is the utmost consideration ... in...
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
Meyer Spruce (picea meyeri)
I'm looking for an alternative to P. pungens and/or...
basic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™