Cutting has roots/no leaf bud

athom68439(7)March 30, 2012

For some reason I planted one of my fig cuttings to deep and did not leave out a leaf bud. The stem has rooted, but can it grow it's own bud (leaf) out of the top or is it ruined? Could I possibly raise the cutting so a bud is exposed, even though there are already roots on that part of the stem? Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rob23b(7a)

I think the only place it is able to grow a shoot is at a node.

I have certainly seen shoots grow up from nodes on cuttings that were under the soil level. I guess it depends on how far under the soil.

As far as what to do, for me it would depend on where most of the roots are growing. If you have a lot of roots below the top (underground) node, it's probably OK to uncover the node, thereby losing the roots that are above it, and hopefully stimulating that node to grow a shoot. But if most of the roots are above that node, I would just leave it alone and hope for the best.

Rob

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:31PM
athom68439(7)

Thanks for the advice Rob!

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 3:56PM
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Hi athom,

I don't know if cuttings do the same as regular trees, but I literally hacked my older Celestes to pieces both last year and this and cut off quite a few very thick limbs. Both trees began, almost immediately, to pop buds out all over their wood and not just at nodes. The buds sprang out of the wood all over the place.

I think that your cutting will either pop buds out like that, or shoots will emerge from the nodes that are under the soil. If it's got roots, it's already growing and that's great! I would be ecstatic if I had cuttings with roots like that. :)
noss

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 9:35PM
athom68439(7)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Noss. I was pretty excited to see the roots. Tried using pine bark fines this time and it's working awesome. Roots on three out of three so I'm pretty excited. Hope I haven't messed around with them too much.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 10:25PM
Rob23b(7a)

Noss,

Just wondering if it's possible that on an old, weathered tree, it might be that there are nodes that are very difficult or impossible to detect. Could it be that the bark has sort of grown over the node, but underneath, there's still a node there, and that's where the shoot is coming from? I have very little experience with older trees. I have seen cuttings from older wood that is so gnarly sometimes it's hard to tell where the nodes really are. And sometimes there are many many nodes in close proximity for whatever reason.

Bookmark   April 2, 2012 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Help please!!!
I badly need your help .why do the leaves curl and...
Kimmy Jane Santiago
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
Seeking Alma and Conadria in North Florida
Hi, desperately seeking Ficus carica 'Alma' and Ficus...
ksosnow
Sponsored Products
Stainless Steel 25-inch Self-rimming 4-hole Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
Overstock.com
Maxim Chrome Eight-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Golden Teak Smoky Crystal
$960.00 | Bellacor
Tech Lighting | Akida Pendant Light
$520.00 | YLighting
RGB-pixelpro-reel-12 RGB PixelPro LED Strip Light by the reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
La Scala Antique Silver 15-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier, 28W
Bellacor
Christopher Knight Home 'Lausanne' 2-light Royal Cut Crystal/ Chrome Wall Sconce
Overstock.com
"Lismore Diamond" Red Wine Glass - CLEAR
$70.00 | Horchow
Uttermost Rhine 8 X 10 Rug - Cerulean Blue
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™