Foxgloves and poppies

jhawesJune 8, 2014

This space by my front door is usually dominated by several large butterfly bushes. At the beginning of the season I was really upset to find the harsh winter had nearly killed the butterfly bushes which had to slowly come back from ground level. The nice surprise was what happened when the foxgloves and poppies reseeded themselves more than before with the additional light and space. In about a week there will be night scented stock blooming and the whole space will smell amazing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ninkasi(6ish Germany)

looks beautiful!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:28AM
schoolhouse_gw

Pretty color combination. I love Stock, it's such a fragrant flower, I see it at the greenhouses all the time. In past years I'd plant it amid the perennials or at the edges of the stone borders. Need to do that again. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 3:31PM
mantis__oh

What is the best location for foxgloves? The locations I choose seem to be either too sunny or too shady.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:30PM
jhawes

I've successfully grown foxgloves on the north, east and west side of my house in conditions that range from almost complete shade to 6-8 hours of sunlight. The only place I don't is the south side which gets blasted with full sun all day long (great for a cutting bed, but not for foxgloves). I think the most important thing is they need nutritious, well amended soil with good drainage and give them enough water so they never stay too dried out for too long. Seeds and seedlings need a little talc until they are off to a good start, but after that point they are pretty easy to care for. They also reseed themselves pretty readily and the randomness of that can really help develop the cottage garden look.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 9:19PM
jhawes

I've successfully grown foxgloves on the north, east and west side of my house in conditions that range from almost complete shade to 6-8 hours of sunlight. The only place I don't is the south side which gets blasted with full sun all day long (great for a cutting bed, but not for foxgloves). I think the most important thing is they need nutritious, well amended soil with good drainage and give them enough water so they never stay too dried out for too long. Seeds and seedlings need a little talc until they are off to a good start, but after that point they are pretty easy to care for. They also reseed themselves pretty readily and the randomness of that can really help develop the cottage garden look.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:35PM
Cenepk10(7B)

So pretty !!!

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:26PM
bellarosa(z5/IL)

Lovely pics! what kind of foxgloves are those?

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Blackberry lily (Belamcanda chinensis)
This is my attempt to post. This is a plant I haven't...
frogview00
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Happy Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! Well, it's a grey...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™