Craziest thing: Tomatoes growing with my roses !

Cenepk10(7B)June 23, 2013

Earlier this spring, I used my beautiful compost around all my new shrubs. While weeding, I discovered to my chagrin, it wasn't weeds growing around my Abraham Darby rose - BUT TOMATOES ! I couldn't figure it out ! I kept pulling them out- about 5 vines ! Today, while weeding, mowing, deadheading, shvitzing & plotting my strategies, - I noticed a tomato vine i missed had FRUIT ! God ! Let it please be an ugly ripe tomato ! I'm crazy about composting !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Hay! It's a bonus. what's not to love about that? I'm sure it hasn't hurt Abe in the lest.
kay

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 5:54PM
organic_kitten(8)

Hay! It's a bonus. what's not to love about that? I'm sure it hasn't hurt Abe in the lest.
kay

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 5:55PM
sweetannie4u(midOK_z6b/7a)

When tomatoes come up in my compost, I transplant them into the garden or large pots. They often turn out to be the best tomatoes and very hardy.

I have grown Super Sweet 100s and Juliet Tomatoes with my climbing roses. Doesn't hurt a thing and both seem to benefit from the crazy companionship. :)

~Annie

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 1:33PM
Cenepk10(7B)

Well cool, Kitten & Annie ! Will let you know how they taste ! I'm excited !

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 1:46PM
schoolhouse_gw

I have a volunteer tomato not in with my roses but in my veggie garden. Can't even remember what I planted last year. I'd love to try a Kitchen Garden sometime and have rows of flowers and veggies together.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 7:14PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

I have the same!! two tomatoes, and two squash or perhaps cucumber (when I bite the tendrils it tastes more cucumber!)

Interesting to watch, and I just let them roll. surely i have pulled out others i haven't recognized.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:18AM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

I have the same!! two tomatoes, and two squash or perhaps cucumber (when I bite the tendrils it tastes more cucumber!)

Interesting to watch, and I just let them roll. surely i have pulled out others i haven't recognized.

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
echinacea pink double delight
6 plants propagated from a single stem late last nov....
daves10
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™