Container or in-ground?

alh_in_flMarch 30, 2012

I have read that fig trees produce more fruit when they're in a container. Is this true?

In my climate there is no need to bring the figs indoors in the winter so they don't actually *need* to be in a container.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rob23b(7a)

You are blessed to live in a climate where you can leave your fig trees outside. It is true that one can be very successful growing figs in containers, but it takes a lot more work and is more expensive.

Plant your tree in the ground and enjoy. If you want to put one in a large container to compare, then by all means do so. But I think you will find that in ground is better in most respects.

Rob

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bronxfigs

Rob23b has given you some good advice, and either way, growing figs is very easy once you get into a routine.

One caveat for you to consider if you are going to plant your fig-tree in the ground...watch out for "root-knot nematodes" which can be a problem down south.

If you decide to grow fig trees in containers, you will use a clean, organism free, growing medium, and eliminate this potential problem. Containerized trees require more attention to watering, fertilizing, etc...but, it's no big deal. I have been growing my fig trees in containers since 2007, and I think it's a great method. I use 18-20 gallon plastic tubs that I buy at Home Depot, drill holes for drainage, and put containers with the planted trees on a dolly, so the whole shebang can be rolled around easily. My trees give me dozens of ripe figs each year. Cut to the chase and get yourself a fruiting-size tree and harvest ripe figs this season.

Good luck, and happy growing. This forum will give you all the answers that you'll need for growing figs. Try it, you'll like it!

Frank

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
The Great Boulder Fig Planting Experiment
Let me first say I'm not a fan of rooting figs inside....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Creeping Fig permanent setback
I planted a creeping fig vine a dozen years ago and...
grubby_AZ
rootless cuttings are producing buds
March. Zone 9b. Small bare tree in pot. Black Mission. Five...
four
Sponsored Products
Vigo 31" Single Bathroom Vanity with Mirror and Lighting System - Wenge
Modern Bathroom
Double Equal Bowl Copper Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Modern Lamp: 24 in. Floated Shade Brushed Nickel Table Lamp 6336T
Home Depot
Red Clay 22 x 22 Pillow
$27.60 | Bellacor
Key Medium Module - Walnut - Housefish
$564.00 | HORNE