Lupine Advice?

krycek1984(6a/Cleveland)June 25, 2010

Hey all.

So, I tried some lupines this year. They did not do well. They were in full/part sun. I purchased two of them at Lowe's in a quart-sized pot and I also purchased two bare-root ones earlier this spring. Also, my soil is sandy/loamy (very close to the lake).

I'm pretty sure they got ate up by anthracnose! Each stem would come up, the the leaf cluster would shrivel up, and the stem got the "Shepard's crook". The adult leaves gradually got brown spots that eventually ruined the leaves.

I applied daconil, but it may have been too late. We'll see if the roots live through the winter.

Do any of you have any problems with anthracnose, or on growing lupines, in general? I have never seen that many here. Maybe it gets too warm and humid too early here in Cleveland? Thoughts?

The foxgloves are another story...they are going wild.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)

I just winter sowed my first this past winter and they are doing well, but in this area lupines are a very common wild flower, so they should thrive here. The only helpful thing I can offer is that I read that they have a large taproot and do better when started from seed as opposed to transplanted. They winter sowed beautifully. Maybe try that this winter?

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 9:08PM
krycek1984(6a/Cleveland)

Yes, I think I will sow some lupine seeds here soon. And i will apply daconil from the start since I know that the anthracnose is now in the soil.

We had quite a warm and humid spring so that may have been part of it. The bare root ones were doing well but I think the lowe's one i bought was already infected with the anthracnose or something.

I may just concentrate on foxgloves next year because man, those things are just going insane. Pics coming soon. They must like the sandy soil. Oddly enough they are in like full blown sun. they wilt during the day but other than that, they are perfect.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 11:51PM
cindysunshine(5b)

I have never had good luck with lupines and I totally adores them. My hot and dry conditions on the hilltop probably are a big part of it. But I am loving those tuti-fruiti ones and I'm going to try again. Sometimes I just think of these things are annuals or maybe very short lived perennials for a few years. Dianthus and snapdragons are like that - I have them a few years.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 7:49AM
ianna(Z5b)

they like the conditions wet. These are hillside plants found all over the atlantic provinces in Canada. So cold wet fields. Just ape that condition and they would do well.

Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
A few pictures
Hi cottage gardeners. I don't have a lot of strictly...
lois
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning dear cottagers. Today has brought with...
cyn427 (zone 7)
New Rose I hope to get - Night Owl climbing rose
Hey all you PURPLE freaks out there. Here is the rose...
sweetannie4u
Sponsored Products
Ball Basket Five Arms Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$630.00 | Lumens
Flower Power Plant Sensor
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
How to Tumble Rocks into Gems - Secrets of the Pros Revealed - 240-236
$27.99 | Hayneedle
'Trust in the Lord' Horses Framed Wall Art
$28.99 | zulily
'Be Still' Exodus Box Sign
$8.99 | zulily
Draping Leaf Gold Leaf Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Couristan Recife Veranda Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Natural/Terra Cotta Multicolo
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Kitchen Storage Cart - White - R1020
$135.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™