ephemeral beauty

mandolls(4)June 16, 2011

While I do love the fact that the garden changes so much from week to week, sometimes the moments of beauty are so short. I planted a grouping of "mixed" oriental poppies last year. Yesterday two of them opened, surprising me with incredibly beautiful pink blooms with dark purple marking on the interior of the petals. Four hours later the rain had knocked the petals to the ground. I didnt even get a picture.

I think that one of the things that draws me to gardening is the balance of vigorous healthy growth, which makes me sense the true "life" of the world, and these moments ephemeral beauty.

If I didnt check everything at least twice a day, I might miss the sweetest moments in the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Mandolls you are so right, sometimes things are gone in a blink of an eye, others you wait and wait and wait. I have two varieties of Cardiocrinum Giganteums (Himalayan Lilies), these take 7 years from seed to bloom, then they die but not before they make seed and form pups. Each of these pups take from 4 to 5 years to bloom. The scent from this one lily is filling the early morning air with it's sweet perfume, time to pour a cup of coffee go sit outside and enjoy.

Annette

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 11:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Yikes. I don't think I could take it. Not even a picture? Sigh.
Renee

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™