Older variety of Peony?

marricgardensApril 24, 2009

Does anyone know of any place that sells older varieties of peonies? I've just rec'd my new edition of Gardens West and in it is a great iris garden. Among the pics of irises is a gorgeous peony. Fortunately it does give the cultivar name, hybridizer and year. Now I just need to try and find it. It's called 'Red Charm' by Glasscock '44. I've already looked on Pivoines Capano but I didn't see it there. Any advice? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierra_z2b

Marg, Botanus has Red Charm. I have never bought peonies from there, but other plants and bulbs seem to be fine from there. You may also find it locally at one of the stores or nurseries.

I got my red charm peony locally several years ago.

Sierra

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:16AM
newine_gw

Pivoinerie d'Aoust has it...it is really nice. I have had it in my garden for years. Unfortunately I traded away the surplus last fall. Once it settles in it produces really huge flowers....about one per bouquet is all you need. I have already placed my order with the company...Lilac Time, White Innocense and Mme Furtado. However the website is singing to me....perhaps I could manage Madelon or Mrs. F.D.R. ....and so it goes.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:22AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Hi Marg - Red Charm is also available at Ferncliff this year. They always send large healthy rootstock. And the price isn't bad either. Parkland grows it as well although it is not available this year. It is really a beautiful peony when it is fully developed.

I also ordered Lilac Time and Madelon this year along with Hot Choclate, Flame, Elgin and Lavon. You can never have enough peonies!

Ginny

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 12:29PM
marricgardens

So far I have bought all my peonies from Home Depot. Maybe they will have Red Charm. If they don't, I'll definitely be ordering it. So far I only have Monsiuer de la Marne, Karl Rosenfeldt, Shirley Temple and
Festiva Maxima. I do have another double white that my neighbour gave me when she decided they were ugly and she wanted to get rid of them. When she asked me if I wanted some, I said yes. She dug them up and tossed them onto the hot pavement and left them there for a day before telling me she had them dug up! I had offered to dig them myself but I guess she was in a hurry. It is now coming back, after 2 years, and I hope it flowers this year. It is also heavily scented. Thanks for the help ladies. Marg

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
What type of apples do northern hardy rootstocks produce?
Has anyone left various known rootstocks grow to see...
sandbur2
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™