Frist try, need advice and encouragement

golfer_2008(7)March 6, 2010

A good friend sent me a shopping bag containing a few dozen cuttings from his back yard fig trees with a message to "root these and plant in the sun". He assumes that because I start some vegetables under lights that I will know what to do with fig cuttings but I really dont. I feel somewhat obligated to plant a fig tree or two and perhaps some of you will be kind enough to advise on the best and easiest way to get started. I quickly looked in this forum and find there are a number of ways root a cutting but it would be helpful if someone from the Atlanta area would give me their thoughts. Dont have the variety , just that his trees produce well and have good flavor. They are obviously are well suited to this area.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dangsr_grow

Mythought is to go and buy a tree that is already rooted and plant it and you get good fruit in about 2 years sooner than rooting your own cuttings I have tried both ways and that is my choice. Just be sure that the rooted cutting gives ths kind of fruit you want. Good luck with it. DAN.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 4:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gorgi(z7a_NJ)

Check out this site; click on the 1st "GO".

Here is a link that might be useful: FROM TWIGS TO FIGS

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
I am new here, Mathew from New York
Hi All, I just got interested in Figs and am just starting...
mat9
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™