Fiddler Leaf Fig - Trimming?

PippersMarch 14, 2012

Hello! My mother gave me a Fiddler Leaf Fig about 11 years ago. It has grown into this crazy huge... thing. It has branches that go up and down and all over the place, about 5' one way, 6' another way. It's quite hilarious how it's gotten out of control.

My sunroom is large enough for this, but ideally I'd like to trim it to look... normal. Is this possible? Should I do this all at once, or one or two at a time and wait a month, etc. I don't know how to trim anything. I just know this thing is ridiculously big and as awesome of a plant that it is, i'd like to make it look pretty instead of the crazy stares people give it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You can do it all at once if you like, the biggest concern I would have is the state of the roots. I'm assuming you've never done a full repot - only potted up a size here & there? Repotting includes bare-rooting and root pruning, which has a considerable rejuvenating effect on the plant.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: You'll probably find the info at the thread this link leads you to interesting.

Bookmark   March 31, 2012 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
Figus Lyrata Bambino - help needed
Hello! I am hoping someone is able to help me with...
msautomatic
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (indoor) help!
I bought a fiddle leaf fig tree from home depot just...
desdurso
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™