Soybeans!

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioApril 9, 2013

This morning i asked the Grade 3/4 class what kinds of things we could plant this year in the community gardens. One of the boys suggested soybeans! From what i can see, people are starting to plant them in home gardens. Has anyone got any experience with them? Would they last over the summer while the kids are off - i.e. could they be picked in September? And where would a person find seeds for them? Most of what i've seen on Google is about farming soybeans, so the advice isn't aimed at home gardeners.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thirsty_dirt_77(3a)

Last year I grew soybeans in my garden. They were easy to grow and had almost no maintenance other than water. The spring frost didn't seem to affect them but in the fall I covered them on the cooler nights after a light frost damaged the top leaves.

I seeded them directly in the garden on the May Long Weekend, they started to flower the last week of July and I harvested the beans the first week of September. The pods were not quite mature at this time but I was going away on holidays so it was then or probably never.

I only planted about 8 feet of them and ended up with 6 large snack portions (for 2-3 people).

I bought my seeds online through Veseys.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 3:19PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

That's a perfect timeline for us. Since the kids aren't in school during the summer, a September harvest would be just right.

Maybe i can order some begonia tubers at the same time..... LOL

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 5:57PM

If i order soybeans for $5.95 and a $7.95 bag of picotee begonias, it's going to cost almost $14 in shipping! I think i'll have a look in town on the off chance that there's some seeds there.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 6:10PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Marcia, I have 5 packages of soy beans that I bought in 2012. I am allergic to soy and was going to plant them for my husband. You are welcome to some. Send me an email with your address. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 6:20PM

I'll email you through your page - thanks Ginny!

Oops - doesn't seem as if that's possible. Can you email me through mine? I thought i had your address but i don't seem to.

This post was edited by marciaz3 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 19:40

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 7:39PM
Suzy_H(2)

Hi, not to be a downer, but if you eat a lot of soybean, you need to read the book the whole soy story by Dr. Kaayla Daniel.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus
I was wanting to grow this hibiscus. Everything I've...
marricgardens
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Canada's Quest to Breed Super Hardy Roses Article
I came across this interesting article on the rose...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™