Dutch iris

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioApril 27, 2010

A friend who doesn't have any gardening experience has given me some Dutch iris bulbs - 100 of them! From what i've read, they aren't reliably hardy here, and they should be planted in the fall (how come Costco is selling them in the spring, then?). I don't have anywhere to keep them cool, so i will probably have to plant them now. They can go in the garden in the southwest corner of the house and might do okay there, but i wonder how they will do being spring-planted.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierra_z2b

These bulbs from Costco will do okay if planted now. They will not come back next year unless planted in pots or lifted. Also because the bulbs come out in march, check that the bulbs haven't gone soft or moulded. molded. (pick the right sp. lol.)

Last year I planted mine in pots early, like in March and they bloomed in June. They are very pretty. But my Dh dumped the pots after they died back thinking there was nothing left. lol.

How is everyone doing?, haven't posted here in a while.

Sierra

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 6:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Yikes - i don't want to lift 100 bulbs in the fall! I think i'll plant as many as i can in that corner and hope for the best.

Keep posting, Sierra - people are missing the "old" posters! Darn Facebook, anyway - and it isn't even about gardening there!

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:43PM
More Discussions
Tradescantia Overwintering and Cultural requirement
Tradescantia �Blue and Gold�...
dongdong
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™