Wy is my Kadota fig so puny?

bossyvossyMarch 17, 2013

Years ago I bought a tiny Celeste fig and luckily I planted it in a place where there was plenty of room. I never dreamed it would be so big! Later on I planted 2 Kadotas and they both have been puny, puny. They get same care. Has anybody experienced similar? I figured if one cultivar grew big, others would, as well. Exception being those growing in containers, of which I have one--Panache. Rather puny and poor producer as well.

your comments are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sergius

Bossy, my 2 trees in N. J. are 9 and 7 feet tall, if I was to guess at your question, it would be maybe too much sun, and giving it partial instead, like 6 to 8 hours. My Kadotas supply me with top notch figs, it's worth the patience, wish you well with it, Sergio in zone 7.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 10:12AM
cis4elk(5)

Maybe they weren't healthy to begin with. A picture is always helpful.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:55PM
bossyvossy

here is a pic of my puny kadota. it was planted 2 springs ago and today it looks almost the same as when it was planted. it is healthy but, compared to my Celeste which got huge in 2 years, I consider the Kadota a puny tree. why?

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 3:29PM
Centurion_(Verde Valley AZ Z8)

That little ID tag near the base sure looks fresh for being out in the elements for two years bossyvossy. Just sayin.

If it were my tree and it really has been in the ground for two years I would do several things. First off I'd get rid of the stake. I would mulch it heavily and fertilize with fish emulsion. Is the ground compacted around it? Is it clay soil? Might not hurt to dig it out and re plant it a little higher in a raised mound and mix some compost in with the soil when you build the mound. Then mulch it heavily with wood chips or straw to keep the roots cool and damp in the summer heat. Sometimes when new trees are planted in heavy clay soil they will sit like that.

Finally, If it hasn't put on at least a foot of new growth by the end of this season...toss it and get another one.

That's what I'd do.

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 10:27PM
cis4elk(5)

I agree with all that. The stake is treated wood, could be leaching some unhappiness to the tree. If you feel you really need to stake it because of extreme wind, use untreated wood, metal, or bambo, and get it a little farther from the tree. Maybe use two stakes, farther apart and run a line between them or a seperate line on each. Just be sure to use something soft around the tree like cut hose or rubber coated plant tying wire sold at nurseries.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
rootless cuttings are producing buds
March. Zone 9b. Small bare tree in pot. Black Mission. Five...
four
low-growing plants around figs?
How do figs do with a well-mannered groundcover around...
Kristin
fig question
Has anyone tried to grow fig olympian and did they...
boydanny
Seeking Alma and Conadria in North Florida
Hi, desperately seeking Ficus carica 'Alma' and Ficus...
ksosnow
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
Solid Off-White Accent Lamp Shade
Cost Plus World Market
Pastel Parade Giclee 24" Wide Four Light Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Cashmere Bunny Personalized Cowboy Baby Gift Basket - CBGB-NON-PERSONALIZED
$118.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Hamilton Leather Ottoman - Brighton Black Black
Joybird Furniture